• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Isn't all PC2700 ram the same speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

I am shopping for my buddy's PC to get more RAM. He has a Dell 4550, with 256Mb of DDR 533 Mhz PC2700 Ram. He wants to upgrade to more Ram.

I looked at the Dell website and they show that I can get 512 Mb or 533 Mhz PC2700 Ram for his PC with a coupon for about $94...

I looked at www.pricewatch.com and they have PC2700 Ram for about $64 but the difference is that it says 333 Mhz??

I thought that all PC2700 Ram is the same speed? I continued to look at Pricewatch and I couldn't even find any PC2700 Ram rated at 533 Mhz?

P.S. I talked to Dell and they said I could add a 512Mb DDR stick of Ram to one of the existing 2 ports of 128 Mb each for a total of 640 MB. They reccommended having the same size in each port but that wasn't 100% nesessary they said.

pc2700 is all 333. the 533 refers to your FSB.

you don't have to have matchng size sticks of ram, the only time that is beneficial is if you have a mobo with dual channel ram controllers like Nforce2 boards.

Really? That is what I thought.

I got confused because Dell offers 2 different types. One is a 400 mhz version and the other more expensive one is a 533 Mhz version. To further confuse me, Pricewatch has mostly 333 Mhz and when you click down the list to thier more expensive Ram, you'll see 400 Mhz rated PC2700 Ram.

So for $64 from Pricewatch, I might as well buy 2 512 Mb ram cards for almost the same price as 1 from Dell because ALL PC2700 ram is the same speed right? (I just want to make absolutely sure before I buy it...)

Thanks!

Oh by the way... I am the guy that Tommy is searching the Ram for... He told me to check this forum for computer advice. I used his E-mail to register if that is OK...

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

A good place to buy any computer parts is www.newegg.com if you are in the USA, good prices and great customer service.

Also, before you buy from anywhere, always check www.resellerratings.com for a rating on them. Always buy from one with a high rating and good reviews.

TommyHolly said:
Really? That is what I thought.

I got confused because Dell offers 2 different types. One is a 400 mhz version and the other more expensive one is a 533 Mhz version. To further confuse me, Pricewatch has mostly 333 Mhz and when you click down the list to thier more expensive Ram, you'll see 400 Mhz rated PC2700 Ram.

So for $64 from Pricewatch, I might as well buy 2 512 Mb ram cards for almost the same price as 1 from Dell because ALL PC2700 ram is the same speed right? (I just want to make absolutely sure before I buy it...)

Thanks!

All PC2700 memory is the same speed, 333mhz which is 166mhz x 2

DDR memory sends 2 signals per clock cycle, but the Pentium4 Processors have a quad-pumped bus, sending 4 signals per clock cycle. meaning a 533mhz CPU is essentially running at 133mhz x 4 in terms of the FSB.

I find it a bit wierd that this 533mhz processor needs PC2700 memory, as I believe it can get away with PC2100 which is 266mhz or 133mhz x 2, but after reading up on it, PC2700 provides increased memory bandwidth, so it is beneficial (kind of funny, I thought I knew all this stuff by heart already ;) ). If an Intel expert sees this, that maybe they can shed some more light on this.

Also, when you see a Pentium4 400mhz bus processor, it means 100mhz x 4.

Dell's 400mhz Ram I believe is PC2100, but I wouldn't take any chances with it with your 533mhz bus processor.

I have to admit it is all very confusing, with the combination of Intel's designations and their Quad pumped bus and DDR memory designations. It took me a while to get some basic knowledge.

Also, 400mhz rated PC2700 memory is overclocked, and I would stay away from it. PC3200 memory is the designation of 400mhz memory.

And as for the cheap generic PC2700 memory, I would stay away from that as well. Name brand providers such as Kingston and Corsair would be better, and not that much more expensive if you purchase their Value Ram.

I hope this helps (and doesn't confuse you even more ;) )

Last edited:
That helps a great deal actually, thanks!

I have been asking the same questions for over a year now about Ram but I am slowly getting it. What re-confuses me every time is when companys rename thier Ram saying it is different speeds and such.

I just went on Newegg again. For some reason they are always more expensive than pricewatch? I compared Kingston to kingston and they have always been more? Is there another reason I should go to Newegg because I have purchased before from the companies on Pricewatch. (I bought a reall, reeeeally nice 18" Flat Screen/TV tuner from them for $380.)

Pricewatch just pulls prices from any crapola reseller on the web, it's just a resource. I'd order from newegg.com or excaliberpc.com. Those two may be a tiny bit more expensive than the shadier resellers, but they have great service.

Back