• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 with 2 180GXP's WOW!!!!!! INSANE!!! OMG!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdking

This is crazy, I just made a post bout complaing on the benches this setup got me , but those benches must have been confused....

anyhow I did some other ones.

My score in PCMARK2002 is around 1600 which aint bad I Guess, I Dont know how that compares to other setups.

But in WinBench99 on the disk inspection tests! holy WOW!
101MB/sec transfer start
85MB/sec transfer end
11.4ms access time
10% CPU utilization

Also, another quick test I Did was with..
Nero's drive speed check and it read out at 95MB/sec!

Anyhow...the drives are 180GXP 40Gig....Model for the 60Gig nerfed cuz they were RMA hard drive replacements =P

I love this! WindowsXP boots fully in about 15seconds. Meaning I am at my desktop with everything loaded in 15seconds....not including the time it takes to type in pword =P

Love these things!

Very nice, I guess because what you really have are 60GB drives with the last 20GB hidden, your end transfer rate was going to be very high. Even so, 100 down to 85MB/s is very nice.

I have a few questions tho....argh
Im debating whether keeping this RAID or not.

When I load a few games...it comes to a CRAWL compared to loading it off a single drive
Example:
Max Payne - it gets to bout 75% loaded then takes 5 minutes to load the rest!?!?! on a single drive this game loads maps in seconds.
Everquest - its slower loading the game when u tell it to cache textures then it was on my single drive...

I have the RAID partitioned just like my 120JB was..
c: (OS and utilities) is 29GB
z: (SWAP) 800MB FAT32
f: (Games) 50GB

Now, I noticed that the cached read score in PCMARK2002 was horrible, its around 25-35MB/sec...
If thats the case and this RAID is reading cached stuff, is there any way to disable the cacheing? or something....

Thanks

I guess because what you really have are 60GB drives with the last 20GB hidden
Oh yeh those drive do use 80 gig Platters. I wonder if anyone with the money wants to try and get the firmware from an 80 gig and flash it to unlock the 20 gigs.
I hear these drives are near Raptor speeds. I was planning to get a new drive just for my OS, this sounds interesting.

hm those are awesome speeds, might pick up a couple of those rather than the raptors!

Damn these drives do look sweet. Me thinking weather to get 2 Raptors or 2 of these drives now. Oh well at least I got 2 months to decide which to get :)

Back