• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some WC tips *pics* 56k use caution(350k of pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DipStickTony

alright so heres my rig in its current form. Besides the fact that its not fully finished yet: dont have hose clamps on all connections, not all wires are electrically taped, wire management needs work, no shrouds etc. etc. Ive been really really busy with school and such so i really only get to work on this for like 2 hours every 2 weeks. Anyways here it goes.

Basically i have

bayres >> mag5 >> cpu(evo) >> gpu >> radiator 1 >> radiator 2 >> bayres

This setup is giving me the temps in my sig of 35c @ load (as reported by mbm5). I live in a basement so the ambient is like 26c. I think this is fairly accurate since i measured it with a compunurse a ways back and was getting ~ 36c @ load.

I have a few questions....

1. Does anyone think shrouds would help out ?
I only ask this since the heatercores are already pretty big, and one is most likely capable itself, so would shrouds make the setup more efficient ?

2. Use one heatercore over the other...or in parallel ? I always thought i read somewhere that cascading the heatercores is best so thats what i did.

3. Would adding another pump and using seperate loops be more efficient then this setup (what about if a stronger pump is used?)

both heatercores are pretty hefty since those are 162mm fans on them (just in case you didnt know). The fans are 24v rotrons that push like ~90cfm at 12v.

tonyspc1.jpg

tonyspc2.jpg

tonyspc3.jpg

tonyspc4.jpg

tonyspc5.jpg

btw all the 80mm fans were replaced with 92mm fans with the fan grills cut out of the case. The mosfets, and SB have heatsinks and a vdd mod set to 1.9 volts is in the mix to. Btw i have a NB block but it was just to much tubing so until i finish my setup and try to build some kind of enclosure for it im gonna leave it be.

DipStickTony said:

Basically i have

bayres >> mag5 >> cpu(evo) >> gpu >> radiator 1 >> radiator 2 >> bayres

This setup is giving me the temps in my sig of 35c @ load (as reported by mbm5). I live in a basement so the ambient is like 26c. I think this is fairly accurate since i measured it with a compunurse a ways back and was getting ~ 36c @ load.

I have a few questions....

1. Does anyone think shrouds would help out ?
I only ask this since the heatercores are already pretty big, and one is most likely capable itself, so would shrouds make the setup more efficient ?

2. Use one heatercore over the other...or in parallel ? I always thought i read somewhere that cascading the heatercores is best so thats what i did.

3. Would adding another pump and using seperate loops be more efficient then this setup (what about if a stronger pump is used?)
Okay now to answer your question.
1. A shroud would decrease the temperature, also they lower the noise of the fans. Thats a good reason.

2. Run them in Parallel. It effects flow less, don't know if it affects cooling.

3. That Mag5 is pretty damn strong, I wouldn't worry about getting a new pump. But, they are known to leak so watch out.

I would suggest using shrouds, however, as the fans are circualr you would have a job making one, unless your handy with a dremel and can cut some thin metal sheet up. You could try with card first, and when youve found a way to make it fit, use the card as a template.

or, find a plastic box about the same size as the cores(like a food box/lunch box), and then cut out the middle to fit the fan into.

I bet that one of those rads with shrouds on both sides and both fans on it would perform better than it does now. For a cpu/gpu 2 heatercores are simply overkill. One heatercore alone with good fans and shrouds is more than adequate to handle more than the amount of heat your cpu/gpu can produce. Ditch the second one to save space, then perhaps you could find a way to fit a single heatercore inside your case. The pump should be fine, just watch for leaks as Toolbox advised.

J.

ToolBox said:
How loud are thoes fans? How much did they cost? And where did you get them ?

I got them here.....they are 24v fans and at 12v: Id guess 25dba and 90cfm of air. I got the fans here but i dont think this site carries them anymore, but alas there is a very similar papst fan as well as the 12v rotron.

http://www.mpja.com/listitems.asp?dept=48&main=46
Take a look at the 10-15$ fans...these are the big ones. Also a while back in the cyberdeals these fans were on sale for like 8$ or something so i grabbed 2 of em.

Alright so shrouds are a must....and Im pretty good with my dremel so i think i can do sheet metal. Ill start off with a cardboard prototype and then go from there. Ill update when they are finished.:D

Here's a great way to make your own shroud!

http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/how_to_make_a_composite_air_du1.php

Here's a pic of mine.
watercooling%20fan%20rad.jpg

Its very easy to do and it works great. I sealed up the outer edge with black rope caulk.

also, I can put the fan on the inside of the shroud and put it in the case during the summer. (the rad/fan setup is in a closet next to my furnace and the room window is kept open..ambient temps are going way down with winter setting in...)

hey that's awesome with the shroud, i checked out your links. Very nice. I have done some auto body work, i think that should be a breeze for me, can't believe i never thought of it. :D.

Thanx for the info!

J.

Back