• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fresh xp install and update wont work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shuruga2

after installing xp for a few hours (bad ide cable!) i now find out that i cant use windows update.
when i go the the 'scanning' screen i'm told that windows update has been updated and i need to d/l the new version, i ok it and the window dissappears, the 'scanning' screen updates and tells me that windows update has been updated and click here to get the new version.

at first i thought that there had been whole bunch of updates and i needed to get them all in order, but i noticed that when the security window pops up the release date/time is exactly the same. i have apparently made some progress since today the date/time is more recent than yesterdays, but it is still doing the same thing.

i've tried turning on automatic downloading but it isnt doing anything either.

any thoughts?

Do you have a legit copy of xp? Its a common thing that warez copies of xp cannot use windows update properly.

i still dont know what it was but i downloaded sp1 to my friends comp and burned it. once that was in everything worked fine

you are NOT the first one who have problem with windows update site.

wait a few days and try again

Yeah, and the automatic feature takes it's on sweet time. Between five computers, the time I get the icon saying the "update is available" can vary by 3-4 days, and that's on DSL with hard connections (always on). So take it personal.

Back