• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to setup my W/C rig im planning?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spiker

Registered
im ordering now the swiftech water block MCW5000-A Rel 2.0
and the swiftech rad(the one with 2*120 fans)
i plan to make a water chiller so i need your help in connecting everything in the best order.
i want to connect it like this:
block>pump>rad>water chiller>block
the water chiller is also the res.
what do you guys think about it?

youonly have it going to the cpu block or is that second block a gpu? i would probably have it radiator to the pump to the water chill then block the radiator to dispell someheat and the water chill to be the closest to the cpu to keep it cool.

its only one block, the cpu.
the rad comes only after the pump coz i want it to dispose all the heat from the cpu and the pump.
the water will be heated by the cpu and by the pump, then i will cool it down to ambiente then to the chiller and on to the cpu

This is similar to my project. There are a few things you should be aware of before you start this...

First, what type of chiller is it? Peltier core? Bath? Phase-change (ie water-fountain)? If you are using a TEC based chiller you should *really* be careful of where the exhaust for all that heat will go... if it's going anywhere near other 'cooling' components, you will have seriously decreased results. The reason you put the rad in front of the chiller is to bring the water-temp as close to ambient as possible. If the ambient temp around the radiator is 10° higher than the 'actual' room temp, you are defeating its purpose simply by having poor airflow for your TEC chiller.

That's currently the problem I've been running into... to get the best performance, I have to route my outgoing air 'outside' to keep from heating my room up so much. My chiller has 10 TECs though... that's a lot of heat.

You should also be concerned with waterflow through the chiller. I'm not sure if the rule applies for *all* chillers, but low-flow is sort of 'critical' for TEC chillers. The longer the water stays in the bath/core, the cooler it will get. If it's just rushing through the channels at 1000gph (and little pressure), the cooling won't be as beneficial. I'm not done testing the exact numbers, but the difference between 1/8" barbs and 1/2" barbs on my chiller seems to be dramatic.

The main problem I'm seeing is your water-block choice. The mcw5000-a makes a great peltier block because it is an incredibly high-flow block (if I'm thinking of the right block). Other blocks such as the whitewater or cascade need pressure more than they need high flow. If you are combining a chiller that works best with low flow with a waterblock that is at home in a high flow system, you might run into lower than anticipated results.

When it all boils (pun!) down to it, you are going to be doing a LOT of experimenting. I have the luxury of trying out several pumps, rads and tube/barb sizes. I'm figuring out what works best for MY installation, but I can't answer general questions for ALL installations. BillA would be a good source for something like that =p. I guess the key thing is to keep changing things around until you get your ideal setup.

o.k,
im planing on a swiftech 330GPH pump.
so its not the fastest pump there is and i need a powerfull pump not for the water speed but for the pressure it can make.
my system when install is going to be kinda large and will have some stuff to overcome like elbows, long elivates pipes, in the future several water blocks. so when my system will be completly done i will have a strong pump that will be able to push alot of water.

i also will be using 1/2" tubings to drop the pressure/speed a bit more so it will be enough time in the chiller to get cooled, enough time in each block to take all the heat and especially to absorb all the heat from the peltier.

the peltier i want is 226W.

the chiller is a phase change and maybe ill add a peltier.
my plan is exactly like you said- i want the blocks heat to go to the pump and the pumps and the blocks heat will be radiated to ambiente temp. and only then chilled by the P/C.

your assumption is partly true, the water really needs to stay a while to be chilled but if we are talking about small amounts of water it is really not nessesery coz the compressor will work non stop and evetualy the water will get to the lowest temp. just like totally still water.

Back