• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4b and 2.4c dilemma

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hi everyone i currently have a 2.4b
i was wondering how much more over clocking i would probably get by purchasing a 2.4c
i have the 2.4b o/ced to 2.8 with my crappy lil watercooling setup.
(man that thing needs work)
any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

The 2.4C has the advantage of a lower multiplier and higher FSB, plus it averages 3.2+ gig on air. You'd think that with water cooling you might have a shot at 3.4 gig. HOWEVER, several factors hinge on whether this is a good upgrade.

1) What mobo do you have? If it's not a i865/i875 chipset mobo, then you'll need one that supports the 800 bus CPUs.

2) How many sticks of RAM and what speed is your RAM? For dual channel DDR of the i865/i875 chipset mobos, you need two sticks of RAM, perferably something fairly fast.

So, if you have to upgrade both your mobo and RAM, then the CPU upgrade doesn't seem to make much economical sense, since you already have a decent rig. Unless you just plain want to start from nearly scratch and have extra cash for a new rig.

Last edited:
I agree with batboy. Will your current mobo support a 2.4C and is your memory fast enough to run 200-240 MHz? Then it really comes down to whether you have and want to spend the money to upgrade.

sorry i didnt put all that there i took it for granted that u guys wouldnt think i was a total n00b..................right now i have the is7 which i love....and i have 2 sticks of corsair pc3500

ive been debating this ever since i won this mobo at millionmanlan............i just never had the funds for a new proc..........i just came about some money and im yerning for an upgrade

In that case, I say go for it, since you have all the right stuff. You can always sell the old CPU to help defray the cost of the upgrade. I will say this, the 2.6C seems to be a better match for PC3500 if you are going after max overclock. However, the 2.4C and PC3500 are ideal for up to 3.2 gig.

thanks for the help although now im gonna use money i dont have 2 upgrade lol

thanks again

i have the 2.4c, abit ic7. havent finished testing but im getting some strong oc's. if your cpu oc's around average- a 275 fsb with a 5/4 ratio would give u a 220 memory with a3.3 oc. thats some nice numbers with some good memory bandwith, especially if u can run it with tight timings. goodluck and have some fun...

I had a 2.4B and an Albatron 845PEV board and I just upgraded to a 2.4C and an Abit IS7. I am extremely happy now that I did. My 2.4B got just about 3Ghz and my 2.4C gets 3.55Ghz on the same voltage. I also really like hyperthreading which greatly helps my video encoding. Although I'm not too happy about how much upgrading costs, I'm still happy that I did it.

Back