• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! think my comp may have gotten shorted:/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raccoonone

lastnight a bucket of water (about 4gls worth), got spilled in my living room. and although the computer it's self didn't get wet (it's on top of my desk), everything under the desk did. including the surge supresser, cable modem, router, sub-wufer and all the cables running under the desk.

as soon as I heard what happened (about 30secs after it spilled), I unplugged the surge suppresser from the wall, hoping that would prevent anything from getting shorted out. I then dried everything off as best I could, and left it unplug for the rest of the night.

this morning I checked to make sure everything was dry, then plugged the power back in. and turned on the computer. however although the lights on the front, hard drive, power, lights on the CD drives...etc, came on.
the monitor stayed blank, after checking all the connections, I restarted the computer, but still got nothing.

I checked the monitor on a different computer, and the monitor is fine.

what could have happened to the computer? btw it was turned off at the time the water was spilled.

I'm going to try and trouble-shoot it, in an hour or two. but could use any advice you can give.

if everything was off at the time and you waited to start up until it was totally dry then i dont see how your system could have been damaged.

the power strip might be damaged though.. how are you plugging the system in? straight into the wall?

thanks. it seems to be working now.

I think the video card got loose some how, since when I opened the computer, and press on it, it moved in a fair bit.

Back