• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux Drive Setup??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
I am setting up Suse Linux 8.2 Pro on an AMD system with a 40gb HDD. How should I partition the drive? Since I am installing as I type this I am going to go with the recommended settings but I would like to know what I should go with. It will be no problem to erase my install and do it up right later.

Thanks for the help.

By the way, this linux comp will be a full time folder as soon as I learn how to make it Fold!!

Well, 40GB is a lot for folding, but I assume you will use it for other things :)

Usually what I do is give the boot partition somewhere around 100MB (some distro's require that much *cough*REDHAT*cough* and some require less, but in a big HDD like this it isn't going to matter.

For me, since I have 512MB of ram, I usually stick w/a 512MB swap partition.

And the rest I usually just put into the / (root) partition, and don't bother doing other mountpoints like home really...

There should be an option on the drive type (usually the fs (file system)) like for swap partitions it will give you swap, or ext3, reiserfs, jfs, all of which have journaling...which I forget what it does..something w/keeping track of the files I think..

If you need more help be sure to ask :)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Yeah. I usually also add a /data partition. That way I have a neutral place to put things if I want to trash the rest of the OS for something else. I even make it vfat if I'm dual-booting so that windows can see the files in there.

Back