• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to lock the IE homepage??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cupe|ix

I don't know why, but something keeps resetting my homepage to searchv.com!

No sites ask me to make it my home page, and yet it keeps showing up! I ran some spyware removers but it still keeps coming back. Is there a way to completely lock the homepage so it can't be changed to something else?

There is a setting in the registry designated for the home page. Usuaully if you change that back your home page will stop changing back to searchv.com. Also, what spyware removed did you use? I recommend Ad-Aware. Try running that and see if it helps. If you need where the specific registry entry is located let me know I will find it for you. Good Luck!

Matt

Do a search on google for a app called "hijack this", its lets you see all the programs/spyware that have hijacked your browser and gives you an option to delete them.

also run ad-aware and spybot routinely like once a week

every sunday, i doa virus scan defrag spyware sweep and file clean-up to keep my comp and HDD nice and neat. havent been hijacked or infected yet.

In addition, check for a file on your system called "MSUpdater.exe"...and delete it. If you run "HijackThis" like cornbread suggested, and MSUpdater.exe is on your system...it'll show up like this in the scan results:

O4 - Global Startup: MSupdater.exe

You can download HijackThis from Majorgeeks here...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html :)

Last edited:
spybot search and destroy has the option to lock the hosts file, as well as your homepage

Back