• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

winxp isa support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bardos

Hi,

I'm hoping to find a way to run an isa floppy controller within winxp that is recognised fine in a DOS environment but naturally isn't within winxp? Any hope here with 3rd party drivers or anything?

thanks, b

Very doubtful as Win XP dosen't have a true DOS environment and no ISA support. If you had a dual boot say to Linux or an early Windows you would have better luck

I've had good luck with XP and ISA soundcards, modems, and NIC cards. But you have to be able to jumper them to Plug and Play. I have tried an ISA floppy controller, and NIC cards that had no jumpers, and I was unable to get them to work with XP.

Help!!!!!

do you believe in magic?

This morning I went to set up on the bench the same system as before. The motherboard with the defective floppy controller. I placed the floppy controller card in the same ISA slot, attached a floppy cable from a working floppy drive, attached a hard drive with winxp loaded on it and started the computer. Tested the floppy in DOS, good to go. Started up winxp with all the intention in the world of a long experimental session putting in I/O adresses, fooling around with IRQ's etc.

At boot-up WinXP all of a sudden recognises the floppy drive. You know that little balloon in the taskbar tray which syas "new hardware found". I can't figure out how that happened. I check in Devices / Hardware, and there it is, (with I might add, the address-settings that I was going to place manually) as if a normal floppy drive, no mention of a card.

I place a floppy in the drive, go to "my computer" and there is "A" drive and the floppy opens in a window.

I can't figure it out, but there it is.

No drugs or alcohol, no candles, insense or other invocational materials, but there you are.

My only remaining question is: How in heck did this happen?

eric

Back