• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD probs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFAB199

Registered
I have a question, I have a WD drive 40gb, it is a year old, and it is partitioned with 4 partitions. and about 6 months ago it started to get full, I was moving files around and whenever it would write and read(when converting mp3s) from the last partition it makes a noise, like an old drive with the kinda grinding noise to it, but not like metal on metal grinding, my wife asked someone and they had told her that its the armature moving rapidly due to virtual mem, the mach has over 512 and it will make the noise only on the last partion when there is lots of activity(reading writing) and no other programs are running except windows, I told her its the drive on the verge of failure

any thoughts?

what didn't make sense to me is that I'm running win98 with more than enough mem, so the virtual mem shouldn't be the cause of the noise, and is far from normal operation, the person who told her this is a math professor, and cs professor, but I'm still saying it is a dying drive

Back