• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RedHat 9 finding NTSF files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

ok I just partitioned my C: drive and put 10 gigs aside so that I can start learning how to use use redhat. The thing is that with only 10 gigs I would like to be able to access things like my music and such to jam to while flirting with it. I'm reading in my linux for dummies book (don't laugh) and it says that I can mount things in my /etc/fstab. However when I look at my fstab I can' t manage to find the other drives. I have two 120GB drives in raid and an indipendent 120gb drive. They are all NTSF and I can't manage to find any of them. Is this even possible. Is there some way that I could make the drives fat32 if needed? I've heard that is easy for linux to work with.
Duck

The best is to try mounting them manually first. Once you can get them successfully mounted, you can take those options and put them in your fstab.

mount -t [filesystem] [device] [mount point]

example:
mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/temp
That will mount the harddrive on IDE Primary Slave, first partion, onto /mnt/temp as NTFS.

Because you are working with raid, it will probably appear as a SCSI volume. If it's software raid (through windows), then it's not possible to mount it. If it's a hardware raid card, or raid on your motherboard then it should be fine.

Run this:
dmesg
see if you can identify what your harddrive is. It should look something similar to this (keep in mind that mine is a non-raided harddrive, so it'll be a regular /dev/hd@# drive (where @= a,b,c, or d for IDE 0:0, IDE 0:1, IDE 1:0, and IDE 1:1 respectively. The # is used when referring to a partition, and is the partition number.):
hda: Maxtor 53073U6, ATA DISK drive

>> that is my harddrive with 2 partitions on it, I could mount them like this:
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/one
mount -t ntfs /dev/hda2 /mnt/two

where /mnt/one and /mnt/two are empty directories. That would translate into the following lines in my fstab:
Code:
[b]/dev/hda1               /mnt/one       ext3            noatime                0 0[/b]
[b]/dev/hda2               /mnt/two       ntfs            noatime                0 0[/b]

Last edited:
I don't believe there is an NTFS --> FAT32 conversion tool but I know the reverse exists.

Remember, your IDE devices are numbered like this:

hda is primary master
hdb is primary slave
hdc is secondary master
hdd is secondary slave

Redhat doesn't include NTFS read support in the kernel by default. You have to recompile your kernel with the driver compiled statically or else as a module and set the module to load at boot time. Once you do that (and can manually mount the drive somewhere on your directory tree) you can add it to /etc/fstab to have it mounted at boot.

You're also going to want drivers for whatever RAID controller you have built into your kernel if you can, as long as you're recompiling with NTFS support. Is there a good reason RedHat ships without NTFS support?

First of all linux doesn't support NTFS natively. you have to install a kernel module to add an NTFS driver. then you can mount the drive and edit the fstab to auto mount the ntfs partition. For the shabang see this website:

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/redhat.html

Really helped my newbie but out.

Because of legal issures redhat doesn't include NTFS drivers

Back