• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drivers+Linux...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venesectrix

I'm planning on running Redhat 9 on the system I just built, but all the driver disks (mobo driver, video driver, keyboard driver, mouse driver) are windows-only. Would I be able to dual-boot, install the drivers in windows, and have the components work in Linux? Are the drivers required for operation, or are they just nice to have? BTW, I'm using an ABIT NF7-S (2.0) mobo and an Aopen geforce2 mx400 video card.

The drivers are not compatible with linux, you will need linux drivers for them, but most will come with redhat. Your hardware will most likely be autoconfigured during setup.

You will need to install NForce2 drivers as well as Video Drivers. You can get them from nvidia. RH will install some basic nv drivers and you will be able to do 2D but there will be no 3D or hardware accleration.

Check Linuxquestion.org as they have a lot of information on this topic if you get stuck.

Hmm... I htought Xfree's nv driver had some 3d hardware support. Color me wrong. I know there are opensource alternatives to the binay ati-drivers with hardware 3d support (but, last I checked, they couldn't do something that ut2003 needed).

So Redhat has the mobo driver but needs the video card driver?

I looked on nvidia's website but i don't know which one to download (I'm downloding them on this computer then burning them to a disk because my other computer doesn't have internet access). For a gForce2 MX400 video cvard, which one should I download:

Linux IA32
Latest Version: 1.0-4496
Archive

Linux IA64
Latest Version: 1.0-4050
Archive

Linux AMD64
Latest Version: 1.0-4499
Archive

nForce Drivers
Latest Version: 1.0-0261

Focus on the NIC (Nforce2) drivers. You'll still have video on the default video driver redhat installs. But without a NIC driver you'll be stuck.

So I should download the nForce drivers, but not the IA32, IA64, or AMD64? Just making sure...

Those are just categories of drivers for video and chipset-

IA64 is for Intel Itanium 64 bit CPU's
IA32 is for all x86 CPU's
AMD64 is for 64bit AMD CPU's (opteron and Athlon64)

Just got to the Nforce2 category of drivers and you should find a rpm package for redhat.

It installs by either:

download to desktop and right-click, choose properties, make it executable, click ok. Now double-click the file.

or

download to desktop

open a terminal

cd /home/your_username_here/Desktop
rpm -i name_of_rpm.rpm

The Linux IA32 driver (which means 32 bit Intel architecture) will be what you need for a display driver, but first and foremost (as previously mentioned) you will need the nForce driver RPM for LAN function (also provides sound function).

I would suggest downloading the driver and burning it to a CD prior to installing Linux.

Back