• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General question on removeing ramsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harryinny3

Want to remove the crappy ramsinks from my card and use some Someone sent me.(you know who you are THANKS!) Question is, if i freeze the card to breakdown the epoxy, Will the freezing hurt the artic aluma that i used for the GPU? Any help would be cool.

Edit, Im gonna wait till i get a response before i take em off.

Harry

I don't think a 10-20 min trip to the freezer will affect the Alumina adhesive.(Make sure the card is in a anti static baggie)

You need to be very careful in the ramsinks removal, to much force and you can rip the memory chips off the pcb

I've removed dozens of ramsinks with both alumina and Silver adhesive without incident, but the memory chips may have residual Alumina adhesive remaining after the ramsink once removed. If the residual alumina adhesive remains on the chip, it can be sanded down with fine grit silicone carbide sandpaper, but it needs to be blown off after sanding as to not contaminate the boards pcb and traces.

But like I said, you need to be careful, I think Arctic Silver has a disclaimer they dont recommend you attempt to remove the item once attached with Alumina adhesive or Arctic Silver adhesive.

I've seen a few pics of a few ruined ATI products lately where people removed the ramsinks, I suspect that either to much force was applied or the memory traces are weaker on some ATI cards than on others. In any event proceed with caution ;)

Thanks Sam

Im gonna just wait for a new card. I tried, but too much force needed so im gonna just not push the issue with the removal. Thanks for the reply.

Harry

What kind of ram chips do you have on your 9600? If you have the little square ones, beware. I ended up killing an 8500 because of a single dab of superglue, and it had the small square chips.

Back