• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Dually Up and Running!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Codeman05

Well finally look to be up and running, heres the specs:
A7M266-D Rev 1.04
2x AMD 1800+
2x 256mb Kingston Hyper-x PC3500 DDR
Win2k

Currently at
1610 per cpu (140fsb), but I'm about to see if I can get closer to 150, and look at messin with the multis.

One thing though, I'm running 2 instances of prime95, and the CPU usage graph in the task manager is all over the place for both cpus, total load for the most part stays around 50-75%, but each cpu goes from 25% - 75% quite a bit...then both will hit 100%, then they will jump around more.
Is that normail or is something fishy?

congrats on the good setup ;)

i thought when i ran 2x prime95 that the cpu usage was 100%...but maybe that's because after the program has finished it's "testing stage" then it uses 100% of both cpus for 2 instances of prime95

are these "A" or "B" stepper's?

you're lucky that you have voltage control for both cpu's...that allows more voltage options than the pin-mod that i had to do

Congrats! That sounds like a nice setup. Don't forget to get that rig folding. Have fun with it.

Matt

actually I'm not sure lol, The HSFs were already on it, and I didn't pull them off to check. I just msged the person I bought it from though so we'll see. I plan on upgrading to bartons in a couple of weeks anyway so either way I'm not real concerned.

I'm about to install folding to burn it in for a bit at 1725/cpu, might get around to messing with the multis tonight and see how much more I can get out of it.

BTW, what are your Mem. bandwidth benches looking like in Sandra...at 140fsb (280ddr) and fast timings I'm only at about 1700 (forgot the other bench of the top of my head, at work currently)

Last edited:
Codeman05 said:

One thing though, I'm running 2 instances of prime95, and the CPU usage graph in the task manager is all over the place for both cpus, total load for the most part stays around 50-75%, but each cpu goes from 25% - 75% quite a bit...then both will hit 100%, then they will jump around more.
Is that normail or is something fishy?

The way I run prime95 on both procs is by creating 2 different shortcuts one of them has the command line tags -a1 -t and the other is -a2 -t (the -t starts the torture test automatically, the -a is used to run multiple instances from the same directory. It causes a different set of file names to be used for each instance.).

yea I think its just Prime thats acting up, I went ahead and opened 2 instances of Seti which I already had installed and they both fired up to 100%

well this board maxes at 150 I think...and I'm currently at that, stable. Going to run prime overnight before I say for sure. Then I'll start playing with the multis, I just wanted to see how high I could get the FSB first

When running two instances of Prime95, make sure you have the memory settings on each set right. By default, Prime wants to use 50-75% of your memory. If you run two instances, at these settings, then it needs more memory then you have and ends up using the pagefile, which keeps the two instances from running properly.

Open each one up, set it to use about 25% of your total memory, then fire away.

I didn't even think about that, good deal. That pretty much took care of the "problem".

Heres a couple of pictures I finally got around to snapping, had a lot of spare fans lying around:

Lights on:
3.JPG

Lights off:
1.JPG

One more lights off

Thanks for all the help & info guys...I already can't go back to a single proc. I think I'm going to have to convert my second rig into a dual before too long lol

Back