• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is a crazy cool program that one of our members moded. all you need is a CD-ROM and a burner to make the disc. What it is a bootable CD, you just pop the cd in the tray an toss your computer under your desk and forget about it.

Kudos for Arkaine23 on the mod :)

There are all sorts of programs out there. Another member Gator, I think, had Yattalinux where there is 1 server with a HD and the rest of the nodes network boot so if there is a power loss they all continue where they were since they all save to the server. You would want the server on a UPS to be 100% sure of the saved WU's. Do a search for Yatta or yattalinux for more info. I personally have tried Overclockix and like it alot, Once I get some more stuff up and running, I am going to try out the terminal services if I can figure that out (I'm a newb to linux) which is basically like the yattalinux if I understand correctly. There is also a linux based program on www.em-dc.com that someone over at (H) made which uses a USB Drive to boot from and fold on.

Yup, lots of possibilites. But to summarize:

1) Local HDD running Linux. Same sort of deal as windows. Takes about an hour to install the OS and configure foldind as a service. Need about 2GB HDD. Spares you the cost of a windows License.

2) No HDD, running a bootable CD like Overclockix. Trade cost of HDD for cost of CDrom drive, spares you the cost of a Windows License. Takes less than 1 minute to boot the CD. Folding is pre-configured. You run 1 command and you can change the user/team and restart the client. The command is "cfgfold". Requires at least 96mb - 128mb of ram.

There's another one like this called OverFoldix, made by David. It's not graphical and doesn't really function like a desktop OS the way overclockix does. Requires much less ram though- only 64mb.

Other cons- Folding in ram means you'd lose wu's if there is a power failure or a need to reboot.

Overclockix has some solutions for this- you can fold onto a local hdd or usb pen drive using its persistent home feature. You need about 32mb of space on a usb pen or hdd to do this.

You can also fold onto a network hdd's FAT32 shared partition, though its a bit more complicated and requires you to run a few commands. Instructions are on the CD, and I also maintain a forum for overclockix support if you need help.

3) The best solution for a multi-node farm.

One DHCP and terminal server node. This requires a hdd installation of Linux and some configuring on your part- yattalinux, redhat ltsp, and overclockix/other knoppixes(HDD-installed) are all good for this.

This server allows other nodes (without HDD's) to boot off the network. They can then fold onto a directory on the server's HDD.

so if i wanted to build one, a comp just for folding, what all would i need? and how much you link it would run me

Motherboard with onboard everything, Processor, RAM, and PSU will be enough to get the rig to post. Then you need an OS so either a CD Rom with Overclockix or a HDD with your favorite version of windows or linux and you ready to start folding.

As far as costs go, do a search for the thread CHEAP FARM PARTS and More cheap farm deals for some ideas on cost. I think most people are happy when they get down to under $150 per layer.

quail said:
Whoa i just noticed something.... u are OC3d! Your a legend in my book ;)

It didn't used to be that way. At one time there were about 20 members of the subteam, and about 100 CPU's. Now as far as I know, I am the only one left and I'm pulling almost 60 CPU's....

OC3d is powered mostly by:

AMD Athlon XP, Gentoo Linux, Overclockix Linux, and Windows 2000 Professisional

So you put layer upon layer into a case? how do ya mount the Mboard for fit the most u can? ;)

Back