• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first CPU overclock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ritalin

Friday afternoon i overclocked my cpu for the first time.
I think the max I got was a 245mhz with 5:4 divider on my ram with 2-2-2-6 timings. 42 secs at super pi 1meg is my record so far
It ran hot with stock cooling and would reboot while in prime95.
Pretty sadly, i now only use 220 on the CPU with 1:1 and it ran prime95 for around 14 hours without crashing or anything.
Im gonna get a better sp-94 with a good fan (not sure which yet) and a zalman nb cooler (yellow one) with a 40mm fan on it (any advice on which to get?).
Maybe heatspreaders on the ram (are they worth it?)
Feel free to ask/comment.
I dont wanna push it too high for now with stock cooling, a crappy psu and a terrible case... I mean it's already really fast and stuff... Im sure you get my point.
Ritalin

about the heat spreaders.. i hear different things ... some say they are worth it others say they arent.. the best bet is touch your ram and if its too hot to keep your finger on it then i would recommend heat spreaders... if your ram isnt to hot them i wouldnt bother.
Eddie

I've tried a lot of configs but it wont boot at 250mhz... what do you guys recommend i should use as config or do in general?

do you mean 250 FSB? or what do you mean by 250mhz? prolly a stupid question...

anyway.... what is your core voltage set at currently?

you might need to up the core voltage to get better stability yet it will increase heat. if you where talking about having a 250FSB.. that is very good... if not.. im just not fully understanding what your talking about.

get back w/ me and ill help you out more after i fully understand what your saying.

-Acidburn-

-EDIT- Just to let you know.. i dont know a whole lot about the intel brand. I'm more of an AMD person myself so that is prolly why im not understanding what your sayin.. but ne way..

Cytomax said:
about the heat spreaders.. i hear different things ... some say they are worth it others say they arent.. the best bet is touch your ram and if its too hot to keep your finger on it then i would recommend heat spreaders... if your ram isnt to hot them i wouldnt bother.
Eddie

heatspreaders on ram do not help. some members on xtremesystems went even so far as to chill memory to -20C to see if it resulted in a better overclock than nonmodded memory......result was no increase

Ritalin said:
I've tried a lot of configs but it wont boot at 250mhz... what do you guys recommend i should use as config or do in general?

1.what is your vdim?
2.does the mem max out at 220fsb 1:1 or is that simply where you chose to stop?
3. have you tried running lose timings?
4. what do your volt rails look like?
5. what type of power supply are you using?
6. what kind of temperatures are you seeing?

--------------
suggestions
1. do not raise vcore anywhere near 1.7...I have seen many undervolted p4s that made it to 3.5Ghz on stock volts.

2. (if you have not already done this) set ratio to 5:4 and starting at 220fsb raise the fsb 5mhz at a time......running prime for 10min before going to the next step.....once you find the max 5min prime stable, run prime for a day.

3. don't waste money on ramsinks.....waste

-best of luck you you

Last edited:
I think with your new SP94 you'll have a bit more luck.

but, like the other guys said, we'd need to know your present voltage for the CPU.

also, it is possible that it is the PSU holding you back, but you need to tell us a bit about the voltages.

zabomb4163 said:

1.what is your vdim?
2.does the mem max out at 220fsb 1:1 or is that simply where you chose to stop?
3. have you tried running lose timings?
4. what do your volt rails look like?
5. what type of power supply are you using?
6. what kind of temperatures are you seeing?

--------------
suggestions
1. do not raise vcore anywhere near 1.7...I have seen many undervolted p4s that made it to 3.5Ghz on stock volts.

2. (if you have not already done this) set ratio to 5:4 and starting at 220fsb raise the fsb 5mhz at a time......running prime for 10min before going to the next step.....once you find the max 5min prime stable, run prime for a day.

3. don't waste money on ramsinks.....waste

-best of luck you you
1. Is it the DDR voltage thingy? If yes, i285v (max on my mobo)
2. I got ****ed it would reboot during prime95 after a couple minutes at high fsb so i just set it there (i knew it was already stable. confirmed by 14 hours of prime95).
3. hmm i got feedback on this, check it out:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=110599
4. Hmm they are relatively stable (12.2ish, 5+ or 4.9, 3.2-3.3)
5. A no name PSU (in my sig)
Here is a link to a pic of the sticker thingy on it:
http://www.freewebs.com/ritalin/PSU.jpg
may not work at first, just copy paste in other window... should work lol.
If you know a good free host, tell me please :)
6. Hmm depending on room temp, right now at idle it's either high 20s to low 30's and at full load (prime95 torture -full load right?-) it's high 50s low 60s... damn stock crap.
Thx in advance!
Ritalin

Back