• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Ghz Celeron or XP1700 ? Whats faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi,

I purchased a Dell 2400 system with the purpose of selling it off. My Wifes PC is an XP 1700 (1400 mhz) & I was curious what would be faster ?

Her xp1700 is kinda slow, but the 2ghz celeron factor, might be a marginal difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rich

Now they not depend on CPU. All the new 1700+ can go over 2.4g on air, but your is old. So which system have more memory, which system have better video card, bigger hard drive...
If you gaming take the box have better memory and video card, if your wife does give the better to her. If You need more room in hard drive...
Or the best way you can open both of them up and swich them over for get the right for your wife and the right one for you. (if you do this your Dell system going to void warranty) Good luck.

If the XP1700+ is in a rougly comparable system configuration, it should be faster for most tasks. Sounds like it is an older system hobbled by outdated chipsets, memory, and hardrive rather than lacking cpu power.

2GHz celerons are great for general use, but the small cache really destroys their gaming performance. But if you are not into gaming the newness of the system containing the celeron my make it faster in practice. As always, it all depends on what your priorites and applications are.

She will be mostly using this for office applications, a little online poker, Diablo 2, & thats about it. The memory on both systems is the same. I remember when I bought her the 1700 system, the 1900xp was the newest processor out (to give a time reference).

So very little gaming, the video card can be upgraded, but overall, I think it has some sort of onboard intel video.

Back