• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is enothanol useable for cleaning parts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hannas

Registered
hey all

Just a quick question - over here in australia i am finiding it really hard to get pure isopropyl alcohol...most places (pharmacies) have it but wont sell it to you straight!!!!!! ahhhgggg - i must look like a bum - they dont wanna support my habit or something...they always ask what i will be using it for, i am a teenager, so when i say cleaning computer components they always give the the 'yeeeeeeah right - you are going to drink it with your buddies' look.

Back on the subject - i can however get lots and lots of a 96% ethanol metholated spirit. Would this be cool for cleaning CPU, HS, ect ect?????

Thanx a heap

I believe that should be fine for cleaning computer parts. If I remember correctly, most ethanol not meant for human consumption is denatured using about 5% toluene. Just don't drink it... toluene's definately some nasty stuff. :)

Hope it helps!

You might not want to let it get into your skin.Everclear works good.:D Then you can drink whats left over! iT'S 100% ALCHO.
THE FANMAN:cool:

Try auto parts store and look for brakeclean/electric contact cleaner? Just have to use in ventilated area but can get non-flammable version at any age.

whats wrong with enthanol getting on your skin....? i did it and it just felt kinda cold.

Just go to your nearest paint supply store and get some shellac thinner. It's denatured ethanol and will work just as good as isopropyl. As for your skin, it will over time take off the skin oils and could cause some irritation.

BTW rubbing alcohol, although 70% isopropyl, has water in it and is a bad electronic parts cleaner.

If you don't wash it off, it'll evaporate in several seconds anyway. You'd have to drink it to be seriously harmed.

Back