• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9700 pro sad story :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bythegods

Registered
hi guys,
i just wanna share my bad experience with catalyst 3.8 (well, at least thats the only source of prob i can find out)

i wrote about my problem on aom.heavengames.com and you can find it here

i'll copy paste some of the important parts if you dont wanna go there. my screen name there is Zeusfollower:

jeff85

When I'm playing a mutliplayer game, Age of Mythology randomly crashes on me and returns to Windows, giving no error message.
My system specs:
AMD Athlon running at 1.6 GHz
256 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9000 64 mb w/ Catalyst 3.8 drivers
Windows XP Pro

In the event viewer log it gave two errors at the time of the crash, though it gives no source. I dunno what to make of it:

bythegods

hey jeff, were you recently update your catalyst driver to 3.8? cause there are numerous debate about 3.8 can cause your vga/monitor die. you can find them here and also lots mor eplaces. but since you're using 9000 series, it might not apply to you, but to be safe just roll back to 3.7 IMO.
anyway, i've been having more less same problem with you since i install catalyst 3.8. but the prob is even when i roll back to 3.7 (i did clean install, remove all registry and all) the problem persist, although it occured less than when i'm using 3.8.

i doubt that its aom fault, but i really need help to detect this prob. i didnt change/install anything except catalyst 3.8 before the prob occurs, i ran norton, and nothing .

now its like 50% of my games i drop in the middle of the games. aom just closes itself or my comp restart itself or even a crash . when i use catalyst 3.8 (for a few hours only) i drop in like 3 out of 4 games (2 of them were rated )

here's my system specs if you need it:
amd athlon xp 2800+ (good cooling, i have 34-38 cpu temp)
512 mb ddr 333 (kingston hyper-x)
radeon 9700pro
soundblaster audigy
windows xp pro

oh and it only happens when i play aom, never happens when i browsing internet or watching film/music etc.
i dunno about other games i'm gonna try later

jeff85

Yeah, switching back to 3.7 didn't really help, it still crashes a lot.

bythegods

grrrrrrr,
so, since i have no idea whatsoever to fix this prob, i went re-installing windows (and formatting my hardisk).
after that, after re-installing windows media player 9 i tried to watch a film, and guess what!!! it restart itself.

after that my comp starts to restarting itself more often (this time i dont even play aom or any other game, just browsing/playing winamp etc )

and suddenly when i tried to start up my computer (after a few hours break) its booting fine, but when windows started my monitor turned off itself. the weirdest part is i can still hear the welcome sound when you just got to windows, but my screen is turned off (the power button is blinking), but i can still play music blindly (trying to locate my winamp and play it).

i thought my monitor is dead, so i tried my brother's video card and put it on my computer........ and voila, its working flawlessly. i can play games etc etc just fine.
then i tried my video card again, nope still the same.

so now i have to RMA my video card. and after searching the net for a while, i found that my problem was usually caused by video card overheating (which is the problem that has been reported by people whose monitor was dead because of catalyst 3.8)

so any of you who owns ati card, pls dont use the catalyst 3.8 driver for your own good, i only use it for a few hours but its enough to damage my card after all. and ati keep saying that the problem is nonexsistence

anyway, i'm not bashing ati or anything cause i love their card and has been working flawwlessly on my comp for about 6 months. but denying a real problem is not good. now i have to RMA my card tmorrow and dunno when i'll get my replacement. so no aom for me for a while

so now i habe to call the store where i bought my card and ask for an RMA. i dunno when will i get my replacement. any of you guys have an experience about RMA-ing, especially if you live in holland. and i dont have any spare card cause i sold my mx-400 when i bought the radeon for extra cash.
cheers,

how is it a 9700 pro sad story, when your running 9000, but i feel for ya my Ti 4200 is dieing i think, (not gonna go into it in the ATi forum but suffice it to say its only 3 months old and nothing is helping)

hope you get everything going again...

Jeff needs more RAM, and his seems to be failing....The WINLOG didn't detect anything from his GPU, only some RAM error codes...

Why don't you post your problems instead of a link to someone elses? Maybe we can help:)

Jeff needs more RAM, and his seems to be failing....The WINLOG didn't detect anything from his GPU, only some RAM error codes...

Why don't you post your problems instead of a link to someone elses? Maybe we can help

that is my problem (or was). i'm zeusfollower on that forum and my card is a 9700 pro.

well, atm my card is totally broke. when i tried to start my computer up, it will boot like usual, but when its starting windows my monitor shut itself down. i can hear the welcome to the windows sound. but my monitor is off.

and i tried using my brother's card (radeon 9200 se) and its working flawlessly, i can even play games perfectly fine.

so if anyone have any comments on my problem, you're most welcome.

thx for the comments guys

Back