• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winamp and 100% CPU usage = bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReNeG@dE

I've been running my 1GHz T-Bird at 1.4GHz for about a week, when I got my water cooling system setup and either this problem didn't happen, or the particular circumstances needed hadn't happened until now.

I can play games, run 3D Mark 2001, Prime 95, Folding@Home, etc. for hours on end with no lock-ups. However, if I'm listening to an MP3 in Winamp (if Winamp is just open but not playing anything there is no problem) and running something that maxes out the CPU (folding/prime95) then it completely locks the computer. If I clock it down to 1.35GHz, no problem....

My temps according to the in-socket thermistor are fine, 35-36C Max at 23C case/ambient when running at either 1.35 or 1.4GHz. I have VCore at 1.85V at both settings as well... Any ideas, even if it is to switch to a different MP3 player?

what is your system? anything extra like plugins running in your winamp? I run winamp on a 1.4 Ghz T-Bird with no problems no matter what else I am doing... is it the new version of winamp?

System is:
1GHz T-Bird (AVHA) 200FSB @ 10 x 135/140 and 1.85V
DD MAZE2, Eheim 1048, Ford F-250 heater core 1/2" tubing
Abit KT7A-RAID
256MB Crucial PC133 CL2
DDR Geforce (150/350)
20GB 7200RPM Maxtor
SB Live! Value
300W Antec PSU

I have no plug-ins running and even the standard osciloscope and spectrum analyzer are turned off and it's version 2.74. I'm not sure its a problem with winamp since it works perfectly at 1.35GHz I'm just wondering why its only unstable at 1.4GHz when I'm running Winamp + something

I have had this happen before. Lowering the overclock solved the problem. One thing that may help is disabling the first level of hardware acceleration. This only affects the mouse and did allow me to get a little more speed with Winamp running.

Thanks for the tip, if that was what you meant (what I said in the last post) then, no dice.... It may have lasted another minute or two but it still locked up.... I really don't understand what, on a CPU level, is different about running Winamp with F@H or Prime95 as opposed to anything else....

Eh, have you tried another MP3 player?? No prob with MusicMatch Jukebox in my system, whatsoever!!

AMD TB 1133@1507

Filefjeld

I have noticed this with my computer as well, before I had F@H I used winamp with the G-Force plug-in to load my cpu. It would load more than Prime 95, or whatever else i tried. The only thing that does more than winamp is F@H for me.

Well that seems bazarre... I'm pretty sure I've run F@H overnight (~8 hrs) before at 1.4GHz withough Winamp running, but I'll try it again tonight... Thanks for the suggestions. I'm goning to try using Real Player since I already have it and see if that causes lock-ups as well...

here's one... lower the cpu usage in winamp (and make sure it wasn't on high or above before hand). i dunno how well it works, but it's worth a try

Well I ran F@H for 7 hours straight at 1.4GHz no problem, I've also been playing MP3's with Real Player (yeah its lame... ;-) ) for about 15 minutes while F@H is going with no locks.... I'll try lowering the CPU usage in Winamp after I've let Real Player go for a bit longer....

Yes it's a SB Live! Value, heard of this before? Thanks again for all the suggestions.

i got the same problem ehre
but i m running a duron 750 at 990

i can get winamp and set@home runnin together for 1 hour(around) then it just random reboots

im guessing your CPU is choking for more voltage, try turning your voltage up and see what happens

Back