• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3dmark03 scores old vs new P4 system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markodude

Hi people,
Some strange findings, just pulled the FX5600 from my P4B-533E which is running a P4 2.2m at 200FSB with a couple of sticks of XMS3000 at DDR400 Cas2.5 7-3-3-3, and popped it into my P4P-800E which is running a [email protected] 250FSB, DDR400 Cas2 5-2-2-2 and is running dual channel.
The P4P is running AGP 8x and the P4B AGP 4x.
Both running NVIDIA 45.23 WHQL and same version of 3dmark.
Both scored exactly 3400 in 3dmark03 with the FX5600 at 800/400 :eek:
What gives? No benefit from the latest h/w? Weird!

even though 03 is almost completely gpu dependent (sp?) i would still expect at least 1 point difference due to the faster cpu huh?

that's true.

even if you test the same system twice, you often have slightly different scores, so it is quite weird that the same exact score came up for both systems.

A FX5600 is pretty weak medicine with either cpu, so it is strongly the limitation. And since 3DMark 03 tends to ignore the system itself compared to the video card, you can very clearly see the video card limitation in this setup. I'd definitely get something stronger if speed is the issue.

A reinstall of the drivers and some tweaking got my P4C rig up to 3517, but I could probably do the same on the old rig too!
I dont even play games really so my owning Ti4600s and FX5600s is a bit OTT for me, never mind buying a FX5900!!

I guess the situation is that the card is already running as fast as it can with no bottlenecks on the old system, so the new system makes very little difference....

Cheers :D

Back