• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am interested in water cooling my laptop!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mattyx

I would like some info on the most cost-effective method of w/cing my laptop, as it runs particularly hot, even though it is not o/ced!:rolleyes:

If anyone has done this before or has any insight, then plz help me and post a reply

Thx in advance for any help or experience anyone can give me.;)

There would be no room for it unless you want to carry around a radiator hanging of your laptop. Laptops can handle the heat they are designed to.

First of all, Welcome to the Forums!

watercooling laptops has been discussed from time to time, but it's usually seen as a waste of most people's times. Why? because very few laptops are overclocked, and though they may seem to run hot, they are still stable. Plus, very few laptops that I've ever heard could be described as "loud." Most of the time they are downright quiet.

Now, really, what would you gain by watercooling a laptop if it is not overclocked? You would gain weight, that's for sure...:) I can't really think of any benefits.

What would you lose? Battery life, small overall package, possibly reliability, (would you want to jostle a WC system continuously?). Think about it, you're gonna need a pump and a radiator at the least to see any gains... where you gonna put them?

Basically, I see my laptop as a workhorse, not a playtoy. My desktops are the systems that I play around with overclocking/watercooling... My laptop goes with me everywhere. I want it to be lightweight, small, reliable, and have a long battery life... therefore I sacrifice a little bit on top speed.

Now, if you can develop a WC system for a laptop that meets all of my criteria, then I might consider it. :)

If you wanted to cool it at home you could set up a pump res radiator setup and have a jumbo w/c plate to set it on

w/c the processor inside would be very hard

Toshiba has plans to watercool their laptops in the near future. I think it will cause more problems then it will solve. Laptops can get banged around a lot. One leak...

Other thing is that this way it's easy to damage air cooling too.
I wouldn't consider leaks a real threat as it's possible to avoid them even at extreme conditions. Pumps are rather more vurnable.

Anyway same thing may damage fan as well. Good thing with water cooling would be that it has higher thermal cpapacity so it might help to avoid overheating on system damage.

However I'd rather not consider malfunctions on beginning of discussion, rather lettiong to focus on ways to implement such cooling in so tiny area.

It seems to be a real challange to fit pump inside laptop, then to mount huge rad somehow (as whole water thing leads to possibility to have a huge rad).
Possible solution might be not water but heat pipe system as it allows to have no pump and has higher mechanical stress resistance. It could transfer heat to heatsink-case.
Alu case would be a must (at least part acting as heatsink). Some flat fans would help too - look at ASUS Ge FX heatsink design. Imho having similiar fan system but possibly bigger would help a lot with laptop cooling.
It would be like external cooling for laptop keeping all its portability properties :D

It's not going to be a challenge, it's going to be impossible to watercool a laptop in the stock shell. They're designed to have no extra room inside whatsoever. Their innards fit together like a puzzle. To take the computer out of the stock shell would be to defeat the purpose of a laptop. It would be possible to design a watercooled laptop from the ground up maybe, but it would definately not be feasible to convert one.

PingPing said:
Toshiba has plans to watercool their laptops in the near future. I think it will cause more problems then it will solve. Laptops can get banged around a lot. One leak...

current laptops implement heatpipes which are much more efficient than a selfcontained water system could possibly be

Last edited:
The only gain from water cooling a laptop would be that it would run cooler, but it wont gain stability or speed, since laptops are made to withstand that heat.

The ONLY time I would add water cooling to a laptop is if I were rich, only had a laptop, and never moved it, and didn't need it anymore.

Heatpipes are the solution - not water

And SOOO many..probably 99% of people with laptops hitit pretty hard atleast once..and that could be enough to spring a leak.

Your on an important business trip, and you've just finished typing up something VERY important and you just finish it in time, and you hit the laptop, and a leak appears..and then the thing catches fire..and burns in front of you..

Companies would get sued very quickly :)

Hmmm, if rig was efficient, it would be possible to run CPU on lower voltage and in result have it run longer...

WIll they go this way? Time will show :)

Back