• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

YESSS!!! Tomorrow I'll test two 3.0C's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

laja

YESSS!!! Tomorrow I'll test two 3.0C's - EDIT: test done

Sorry, this info is irrelevant to most of you, but I just have to share it with someone...

Tomorrow I get to test two 3.0C processors, and I'll keep the one that o/c's higher... both of them are week 26 Malays. The price is about $260. OH JOY, OH HAPPINESS!!! Wish me luck.

P.s. just don't tell my wife cause she would kill me...

EDIT: well the testing is done. The result is not bad but not earth-shattering. The CPU I kept seems Prime95-stable at 3.6 Ghz at a reasonable voltage (no more than 1.6 V measured by the BIOS and in Windows). That's gonna be fast enough for a while... :)

The other one errored in Prime at 3.6, so I didn't test it any more.

Last edited:
No. A guy avertised in the forum of a local hardware site. Said he had one of these CPUs in his comp, and also had two more. I don't want to know where he got them as long as they are good...

Hmmm intresting. Now thats a deal, even though prices just dropped a quiet a bit and that but still thats a nice deal for 3.0c's

That sounds nice man 3.6ghz stable. That's gonna be a wicked system with water cooling or vapo you can hit 3.8ghz or higher.

Well let us see some bench marks for it when you overclock it yourseld:p

I have tested it myself. Prime 95 just ran for 8 hours. I like to keep thing simple, so no vapo or watercooling for me.. but I may try a different heatsink.

TC said:
I'd be happy with that. Mine will "only" do 3400 on water at 1.6 volts.

You are absolutely right, and I'm happy with it. However, you know how stupid we overclockers are... rarely ever satisfied. I was secretly hoping for 3.8 Ghz. A guy on a Hungarian hardware forum bought a recently made 3.0C, and he's running it at 3.9 Ghz on air, with just a little voltage bump.

You have to take some of those success stories with a grain of salt. While there will always be those rare exceptional "golden" chips, more often people are so caught up trying to impress folks that they report max O/C that they can benchmark. I've seen where they open up a window in cool weather and leave the side panel off with a big AC fan blowing into the case just to get the highest screen shot possible.

I've gotten my 2.8C to start Windows at 3.64 gig. I have a CPU-Z screen shot to prove it. Is it stable at that speed? Heck no. It crashes whenever I try to do anything. It took three restart attempts just to get the CPU-Z screenshot. But, I got it to run at 3.64 gig by golly.

I can benchmark Sandra and most everything but Prime95 at 3.58 gig. Is that stable? Well, not 100%. I have to drop down to 3.5 gig to be perfectly stable in everything. Well, don't 3.64 gig sound more impressive than 3.5 gig?

It all depends on how you define stable. Actually, I've seen some people report max O/C and stable O/C. I like that method. Wish we could standardize our method for reporting our overclock efforts. Generally here on this forum, we like to see it pass Prime95.

Last edited:
20-30% increase w/defult Vcore is enough I think. batboy told the whole story. We have computers to use them not to score the highest o/c.

Well I'm not inherently against 1 Ghz+ overclocks (such as in the case of my previous 2.0 Ghz C1 P4). THere is a certain fascination (in fact, MUCH of it) in trying to find the limits of your hardware, and knowing that I, for example, have a faster system now than any Intel-based (non-overclocked) computer that you can buy now or in the next few months.

As to the stability issue, batboy and you are absolutely right. When I refer to my comp's overclocked speed, I ALWAYS mean the speed at which it is absolutely stable for everyday use. And I have not found a better indicator of that than Prime95. In my view, if it runs Prime for 8+ hours in the environment where I normally use the machine, than it will take anything I throw at it.

BTW, I am a translator and earn good money with my comp (by local standards). I use it for work each and every day. My dependence on it is immense. So it needs to be stable.

EDIT: I live in Budapest, Hungary. Gonna update my data in a moment.

Back