• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All copper Radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FireMogle

Ive searched a little, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a place to get a all copper (fins/tubes) radiator for not alot of cash? I dont need a really good one and the junk yard is not an option(no car and too far away.)

Thanks

So heatercore form car parts shop seems to be the good soultion.
Some car parts shops sell used ones too (possibly around $7-8). But if mobility is a problem for you or you preffer to save some time looking for shop/heatercore, you can always try some shops with delivery to your house, like e-shops.

if u can seal holes in copper pipes, i have a partially damaged black ice micro 2 in the classified

Good luck finding an "all" copper core. Ditto for the BIX series, they're not either. They are made of brass, because you can make brass tubing with a much thinner wall than you can copper, which makes up for the difference in thermal conductivity between copper/brass.

If you're worried about galvanic corrosion with brass, don't be.

If you do manage to find one, I'm betting it won't be cheap. Stick with a good ol' heater core. It's your best option.

Since we're talking about copper radiators I thought this pic from procooling was kind of interesting:

radiator.jpg

US carmakers stopped using copper / brass for radiators in new cars in the mid-1980s, and maybe a few years later for heaters. Perhaps, they could still be had as a service part? The heater would be the way to go as they are typically sized so they might fit into a larger enclosure. I'd guess you be into it for $50 to $100 US if you did find one through dealer service parts!

In any case, the real gains with copper are had at the water block level where the high heat concentration in the small CPU contact area begs for the best material conductivity. Money spent on an all copper rad might gain a small percent or two. The same money spent on a top-notch water block will gain you 10-fold of that! Good luck.

KK

PS: Anything you might find in a junk yard has probably corroded away to the point of being worse than useless.

Back