• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hey guys i just wanted to share an awesum way to fix noisy fans!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sendatooli

hi all,

i have had many a noisy fan. what i always did was put a little 3 and one oil on the bearing. and like clock work the fan would die several days later!
well i had this idea to put something called "rem-oil" on the bearing. well well, just another use for this amazing product that works wonders! this oil is for guns(even though i dont like guns).
you can get it at wall-mart in the united states. it has a million uses. if you have a quiet fan it will make it silent! if you have a noisy fan it will make it quiet! just put 2 drops on the backside of the bearing. i must however add a disclaimer. it worked like a charm for me, ymmv. :)

sendatooli.

thats funny that you two would be intrested. might be a rather obscure item to find in isreal. and in canada knowing of their hatred of guns, might be hard to find there too. try just searching for it on google i bet someone could ship it to you. the shipping is bound to be more than the bottle of oil since it is only $2.50 us.

i am serious though, anywhere you could think of to use a thin oil and the usual hardware stuff doesnt do the trick this stuff works wonders! the seceret is that it is synthetic and contains ptfe(dupont teflon,tm.)
just make sure to get the one ounce bottle with the straw thingy. the spray is great too but NOT for fans!

sendatooli.

well, with all the friggen bomb scares and guns found in lockers at high schools, damn rights canada has zero tollerance.
but heh.
I would sooo lube up a new blower with that ****nat.

Yeah I never had trouble with 3 in 1 oil before, unless the fan was that far gone in the first place, it's stuff like WD40 that only works for days. I've used motor oil, that works good at first, but has a tendency to go sticky over time.

Try Lithium Grease. You can get it at Auto Parts store.
It comes in a spray can w/nozzle.WD40 is a water displacement product.Thats what the WD stands for.It leaves a waxy film behind.Motor oil will gum up just as RoadWarrior says.You can use 3 in 1 oil/ Singer sewing machine oil/ Lithium grease.
THE FANMAN:cool:

Would this be advisable for a new fan also?

I know they make teflon sprays for other products as well...ask around. You can probably buy a spray bottle and spray it through a straw or something to get a drip rather than a blast.

Yea, If its in a spray can, I would spray into a vessel of some sort and apply the liquid with a dropper or small brush.
THE FANMAN:cool:

i have an old lube that also contains teflon, would this work as well? i believe its called liquid wrench, but it also says that it contains a rust inhibitor, would this affect anything like make the fan last shorter? the info on the side of the can says "To lubricate and protect most exterior metal surfaces. Fast penetrating solvents free rusted and and frozen bolts and parts. Rust inhibitor protects most exterior metal surfaces from corrosion, teflon increases lubricity"

This is taken directly from the side of the can...help?

EDIT: i went to rem-oil's manufacturer's website and rem-oil is also a rust inhibtor, so my lube and the rem-oil should work just about the same??
________
ZX14 VS HAYABUSA

Last edited:
sendatooli said:
thats funny that you two would be intrested. might be a rather obscure item to find in isreal. and in canada knowing of their hatred of guns, might be hard to find there too.

There are lots of guns in Canada, lots of hunting going on here.

alright let me answer some questions!

first off, i think canadas policy on HANDguns is right on!
(ok now lets keep this thread about lube!)

lithium grease is too thick of a lubricant to penetrate the bearing. the idea here is that the ptfe(teflon) bonds to the bearing post whereas 3 in 1(petro oil) simply sits on the post.
do NOT use sprays directly on fans! you will almost certainly use too much. more than 2 drops at a time will damage the magnet in the fan! liquid wrench also contains solvents and is a dielectric, do not use this.
wd40 is ONLY a solvent not a lubricant. do not use it for this. it is a cleaner not a lube.

militec is the most incredible stuff in the world! it is like rem-oil on steriods! it aint cheap if you can even find it. but, it is well worth the trouble to get it. anything you can think of that is stuck,squeaking,rattling etc. miltec will fix it guarenteed! plus it will take your old knives and silverware and make it brand new again where that other cleaner failed!

finally, do not lube a new fan! this is only a quick fix for an otherwise dead fan. these fans have sealed ball-bearings for a reason. they are not mean to take on external lubrication. doing so can actually ruin a good fan. no matter what the oil used is. this is only for fans that are gone anyways. now on the other hand if it is a sleeve bearing fan that you have, lube it all you like. sleeve bearing fans do operate with the presence of external lubrication and actually require to be re-lubed after about 1000 hours depending on the fan model.

ok, hope that is all you ever wanted to know about fans :)

sendatooli.

Well any thin lube that doesnt contain solivents should be fine, let me point out that it has been said on this forum to avoid 3in1 oil it will gum up over time and definatley anything like WD-40. Alot of people use what is normally used in their air ratchets, etc. It is a very thin lube, and works great.

Also I have heard of people using the lube that is normally used on skateboard and rollerblades/skates wheel bearings, because it is made not to attract dirt.

oops....i used the liquid wrench on two fans, will they die soon??

btw i used it on a sf I and sf II, ive used em for a few months and the sf I for much longer

and why are the solvents so bad? i wanted to know cuz my fans arent screwed up YET, the bottle syas that the solvents un-rust bolts or screws...no rust in my fan bearings...so i guess the solvents wouldnt do much
________
Medical Marijuana

Last edited:
graystar, i always thought militec was the top stuff. is this fp10 new and better than militec? i know all the guys with handguns mostly use the militec. anything with high ptfe content should be good. remember though, try not to lube a fan just for the heck of it. yes, skateboard, air wrench,gun lube.... all these thin oils do not atract dirt and bond to the metal because of the ptfe.
a solvent is just a cleaner not a lube. it will work its way into the ball bearing and remove the original grease packing just making things worse.

also, do NOT put ptfe in your car motor! like slick50, duralube etc. it has been well documented that contrary to these manufacturers claims this will most likely cause your piston rings to fail prematurely and throw a rod! i.e, dead motor. minimum 2 grand to fix!

sendatooli.

Back