• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo temps higher than cpu temps, real ? or sensor BS ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZL1

Senior Crypto Caretaker
H

guys Im building a machine for a friend, its a p4c 2.4 on a asus p4p800, stock fan
at stock speed and under some load the asus probe and mbm5 show 47-50 mobo, 45-50 cpu, most of the tipe its 47/45 with the mobo being hotter, usually its the other way around so im wondering if the sensor is BSing me or Im just still on the amd wave

please let me know

Thanks
Dan

I have the same situation but after trying lots of different sensors which all told me the same I came to the conclusion that my modded air flows really did work that well

Idle 25 CPU 27 Case
Load 39 CPU 39 Case

:D

coin said:
I have the same situation but after trying lots of different sensors which all told me the same I came to the conclusion that my modded air flows really did work that well

Idle 25 CPU 27 Case
Load 39 CPU 39 Case

:D

well Im on a stock HSF

D

In that case you're a very lucky man,
the HSF may just be working that well, how spacious is the case

coin said:

well dunno, I hear people saying that p4p800 simply displays the temp wrong :(
the case is pretty big, antec 1080amg, and the side panel has been off all this time actually

Thanks
Dan

if your side panel os off i doubt that your mobo is 50C.... maybe its just reading the wrong temp.... could that mobo have a nb sensor?

My mobo show the same too:

CPU = 31C idle - 37C max
MOBO = 34C idle - 43C max

Very nice!! The CPU heatsink is barely warm.

I would ask about the accuracy of your mobo sensors in the mobo section. All sensors, other than on-die sensors, suck in general.

You could also read your mobo manual to find out where the sensors are reading from for sure - I assume they are CPU and NB.

coin said:

It can't just be "working that well" that his cpu temp is the same or lower than his air temp, but that probably isn't what you meant. I'm sort of confused by your previous comment because your temps are for case and CPU, and his are not.

It's likely that the readings he's giving us are for CPU and NB, and the NB isn't being cooled very well so sometimes it's running hotter than the CPU.

guys someone said that the asus probe and mbm5 running together might screw each other up so I turned probe off, now at 3ghz OC it shows 40 mobo and 42 cpu under load
looks more normal now, but at 3ghz aint that kinda cool ? stock HSF

let me know what you guys think

Thanks
Dan

I agree with you - it sounds a bit more reasonable now.

It might be kinda cool but with the accuracy of thermal monitoring I put virtually zero stock in the numbers anyways.

You know you could have higher mobo temps than CPU tems, but I don't think it is possible with air cooling. if you were running a phase change system than I would be worried if your mobo temps wernt above your CPU temps :p

at one point I did have the same problem with my CPU reading about 2 degrees higher than my mobo

TheGreySpectre said:
You know you could have higher mobo temps than CPU temps, but I don't think it is possible with air cooling.

Actually if you have a duct or the side case is off, and there arent any fans blowing near the sensor on your mobo, then the mobo will read higher under load alot of the time. That is how it is on my pc, and have seen it posted elswhere on this forum too.

My mobo temp would be lower if my other side case fan wasnt broke.

schismspeak said:

Actually if you have a duct or the side case is off, and there arent any fans blowing near the sensor on your mobo, then the mobo will read higher under load alot of the time. That is how it is on my pc, and have seen it posted elswhere on this forum too.

My mobo temp would be lower if my other side case fan wasnt broke.

well I got 2 fans running
but I have no idea where the sensor is, how do I find it ?

Thanks
Dan

ZL1 said:

well I got 2 fans running
but I have no idea where the sensor is, how do I find it ?

Thanks
Dan

the manual for your mobo will tell you

I also have this same thing on my board (except its AMD) but I discovered its because the mobo sensor is close to both my HDDs and front air intake, so the hot air coming off the (8) hard drives heats up the board sensor. So all I look at now is the CPU temp, the rest is irrelevant IMO

pik4chu said:

the manual for your mobo will tell you

I also have this same thing on my board (except its AMD) but I discovered its because the mobo sensor is close to both my HDDs and front air intake, so the hot air coming off the (8) hard drives heats up the board sensor. So all I look at now is the CPU temp, the rest is irrelevant IMO

you got 8 drives ? what kind of box ? Im in serious pain here :)
cant fit my 5 :(

Thanks
Dan

Back