• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Head Unit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude_drew

I need a new head unit for my car...It can't be over $200. It'd be nice getting one with MP3, but a normal CD-Player would be good. What would be the best to get? I need to power an amp going to a sub-woofer, and another amp going to some other speakers.Its probably not the place to put this, but it's the only place there is.

I worked in the car audio/security field for 10 years before changing professions. $200 is pretty tight if you want something that has pre-outs for 2 amps (front, rear & sub). Kenwood, Alpine and Pioneer all have units in that price range that will work. Each has it's own drawback. The Kenwood and the Pioneer will play CDs and MP3s, but only have 2 sets of preamp outputs. The Alpine has 3 Preamp outputs but does not play MP3s. The importance of a separate subwoofer pre-out is that you can adjust it independently of the rest of your system. What a lot of people do is simply split the rear output to their rear speakers and their sub. In that case, when you turn the sub up or down, the rear speaker also go up or down. That can throw off imaging and sound quality in a major way. At $200 I think you're probably going to have to decide which features are more important. My advice is to save another 50-75 bucks and get a deck that's got everything you want. You'll be happier in the long run.

My second job is car audio and video installs, my brother has a shop so I really don't have a choice. Srs's advice is right on the money. It's hard to find a good mp3 deck for under $200, but if you can spend up to $300 your going to get a great deck with all the features your looking for. A good place to shop online is www.crutchfield.com Check out the Alpine CDA-9807 for $280 or the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X569 for $300.

I found that Alpine for 250$ at a different site. Don't the Alpine's have a better sound quality or a bass thing?

Back