• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What modding tools to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frost Byte

Ok as you all know Christmas is comming up. Now that i'm in college I have a different outlook and don't feel like I even want presents from the parents. But they still want to get me somthing.

So I decided i'll ask them for some modding tools, that way I don't have to borrow my neigbors.

I know I need a dremal. What bits should i get for cutting aluminum, steel, etc.

What size hole saw (? The round saw like things you put on drills) do you use most often.

What else should i get for modding?

You can just get normal cut off wheels for cutting aluminum and steel...I didn't have any problem cutting the parts on my Chieftec case...pretty sure the frame is aluminum, bot not positive :)

And a pop rivet gun is a really good thing to have when you drilled out the rivets to cut something. I still need one of those...heh

And the two sizes for hole saws that are really necesary are 120mm and 80mm, I'll try to find the inch dimensions on those...but I think the 120mm one is like 4 and a half inches or something...and the 8 is around 3.4 maybe? I'm just going off very rough math..

Good luck on the "soon" coming X-MAS :D

Fold and Frag on
Brian

THanks guys. Qustion is the pop rivet gun to take out rivets or put them in. Sorry i'm new to this and don't know much about it

well there is this sort off thing called a "metal punch"
its sorta like a pair of plairs its a 1 ton punch thing u can make perfect holes with in 1 second(it has all kinds off dies u can stick in and make big to small holes) i got it off princess auto its so cool only 25 or 29.99 canadian i dont think princess auto is in the usa but u get my point? its a must have tool!
if u want ill scan the tool with my scanner and post it up tomorrow afternoon

A good 12-14v cordless drill is a must have.

A REAL Dremel Tool + bits.

Wavetek Metarman Multimeter/Temp Probe.

Benzomatic TS4000 Brazing Torch.

Cheap Digicam (must have).

Weller Soldering Station.

Diamond or Carbide tipped Dremel Cutting wheels (may have to go online for those).

80mm + 120mm hole saws and chuck.

Molex Extractors.

A good Stainless Steel Engineers Ruler.

Basics- Pliers, screwdriver set, torxs drivers, awls, centerpunches, scribes, tap+die set.

Heat gun.

Pop-Rivet gun.

Metal Nibbler.

Theres a ton of things... just ideas.

=>Pensil & Paper (P7 - Previous Proper Planning Prevents Pi55 Poor Preformances)
=>Ruler & Tape Measure (measure 2 or 3 times or 4 etc... and cut ONCE)
=>String for measuring things that are hard to get at with a ruler or aren't quite straight

heres a piece of info...if you get a 4-1/2'' hole saw, make sure you get a nice powerful drill to go along with it. As I have found out, bigger holes calls for powerful drills, and 4-1/2'' is a BIG hole. Try to get a CORDED drill with around 6-8amps. Cordless drills are okay for simple tasks, but regardless of what the power rating is on those, it wont always be constant due to the battery dying down through usage. Corded drills give the constant amount of power needed.

What is the life on the diamond or carbide tipped cut-off wheels? I'm thinking that may be something nice to have for my dremel, instead of a dozen regular/fiberglass cut-off wheels, heh.

And Fishy, that's a COMPLETE modding toolbox, lol. The only thing missing is a 20gal compressor and some air tools instead of a dremel, lol.

And as always, the best tool you can carry when modding is your brain.....mesaure not twice, but many times before you cut. plan your design out in advance, be cautious of limitations. make sure you won't be hitting anything or you don't cut out too much with your designs.

And always SAFETY, especially when using a dremel. DEFINATELY get safety goggles, and you should probably wear a fiberglass-rated breathing mask (not all breathing masks are equal), and gloves too (be cautious of sharp edges when you are done cutting stuff, and also the dremel bits can get hot after prolonged use).

And don't forget about the cheap digi cam. That is NESCESSARY when modding, lol.

Anyway, good luck, and post pics when you're done.:D

Wow, no one mentioned two of the most useful items (that i've used at least)...

Clamps and a good vice. Doesn't have to be a BIG vice, just a common size bench vise or something. I bought the new quick grip 2" clamps that looks like pliers or claws and I find them to be nicer than the ones that you squeeze to tighten, just my opinion though.

Celeron_Phreak said:
Wow, no one mentioned two of the most useful items (that i've used at least)...

Clamps and a good vice. Doesn't have to be a BIG vice, just a common size bench vise or something. I bought the new quick grip 2" clamps that looks like pliers or claws and I find them to be nicer than the ones that you squeeze to tighten, just my opinion though.

never needed a vice :p but clamps are very useful for when gluing things like plexi and such

if you paint at all a respirator is needed. Trust me I have gotten semi high and ended up with a headache. Also if grinding a good pair of safety glasses and when sanding a dusk mask is a good idea.

Fushyuguru said:
A good 18v cordless drill is a must have.

A REAL Dremel Tool + bits.

Fluke Multimeter/Temp Probe.

Benzomatic TS4000 Brazing Torch.

quality Digicam (must have).

Weller Soldering Station.

Diamond or Carbide tipped Dremel Cutting wheels (may have to go online for those).

80mm to 120mm hole saws and chuck.

Molex Extractors.

A good Stainless Steel Engineers Ruler.

Basics- Pliers, screwdriver set, torxs drivers, awls, centerpunches, scribes, tap+die set.

Heat gun.

Pop-Rivet gun.

Air compressor with dual filters and a drain valve

air powered drimel (aka cut off wheel)

air powered Nibbler

air powered drill

air powered paint gun (lvlp)

Metal Nibbler.

Theres a ton of things... just ideas.

just had to fix/add a few things so that it fits my needs :D hope you dont mind.

titanium carbide lasts

DaveSauce said:
What is the life on the diamond or carbide tipped cut-off wheels?

i dont have a wheel, i have the titanium carbide bit. and i have done a lot of steel trimming and hole widening etc with it and i never noticed any dulling.

titanium carbide lasts

DaveSauce said:
What is the life on the diamond or carbide tipped cut-off wheels?

i dont have a wheel, i have the titanium carbide bit. and i have done a lot of steel trimming and hole widening etc with it and i never noticed any dulling. also, you can get them at lowes and home depot too i think.

id say get a small compressor and an air nibbler save all the aches on your hand if your nibbling off a lot, plus i have used a bandsaw and a soldedring kit is a must too.

It entirely depends on what kind of mod you're doing, but the tools I find invaluable for every project are.

- jigsaw
- Variable speed Drill w/ level (I DO NOT like cordless models)
- drill bit set
- cutting oil (will double the lifespan of your bits when working with metal)
- sandpaper
- forceps
- soldering iron
- ruler
- tape measure
- T-quare
- Black & Decker RTX (works with dremel AND Wizard attachments)
- Multimeter
- Saw horse
- C-clamps
- Soldering Iron
- Hot glue gun
- Heatshrink
- Toothbrush for cleaning
- Dental pick set (GREAT for removing jumpers or screws in tight spaces)
- Vice-grip pliers (Cutting something small? Want to keep all your fingers?)
- Eye protection
- filter masks
- complete screwdriver set w/ allen and torx bits
- X-acto knife set

Things I borrow that are extremely helpful
- Table Saw
- Drill press
- Band-Saw (perferably a dropping Band-saw)
- Heat Gun

Things I NEVER used
- Nibbler (painful and dangerous)
- pop-rivets (I hate these)
- electrical tape (it dies and gets real messy)

Back