• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED All you overclockers at 1600+mhz that think your cool read this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
this is old news, these guys have been doing this for awhile now, they use Liquid Nitrogen and fry the whole thing after it posts for a few minutes, these are not usable computers.

look closer at the site and others by "bunny". I have been reading them for awhile, I think I did a post many months ago about them. I have seen pictures of them..CRAZY people. I give them credit for the feat, but I like to use my computer for more than a day. Jealous of Hoot for his cooling prowness!!

47MHz PCI bus? didnt think that was even possible, the AGP is somewhere around 127MHz, if he did fry it then what a waste of a chip, but he says he hets 1.6 air cooled so he aint so cool after all. Wondering what the little boxes mean that says cpu and underneath it the time in minutes, probably the time it ran stable?

What exactly is liquid nitro, just regular h2o?When read i nitrogen it got me thinking they were running the chip on nitroglicerine

In one picture I seen this 35 gallon tank of liq nitro sitting next to their computer with all thjese funky tubes hanging out of it. That gas is the same thing they use to deep freeze bosies for cryogenics. More money than brains I guess.

I was made aware of these people a while back and it is correct that they use Liquid Nitrogen and the CPU's last just long enough to run up to the nearest store to buy another. While it may impress there peers, I consider this to be irrelevant performance if it does not last longer than my current relationship ( I get dumped a lot )

yeah these wackos are commonly known as "flash overclockers"
i appreciate what they have done, but is there any point to what they are doing besides bragging rights? and even then, if someone came up to me and said
'man, i got my ferrari up to 300mph, then i crashed it into a wall"
i wouldnt say congrats, i would say, what you so happy about buddy, you just wasted a nice frickin car!

im not saying its worth it because it isnt but experiencing the 300mph before you crash it into the wall would be a dream, but then theyd probably spend their time scraping you and the car off the wall

I enjoyed reading about the BunnyMan's exploits, but I don't think he's extreme enough. He should switch to liquid HELIUM! That would cool his chips about another 70 degrees C. He could probably post at 3 Gigs or more. Of course it would also likely cost a few hundred G's (or a few million yen) for the equipment to keep it handy, but boy howdy, couldn't he brag then!

I think a more viable approach for the cryogenic overclocker on a budget is not liquid Nitrogen or liquid Helium, but simply to strap blocks of dry ice to the CPU. Just follow the Good Humor man around and beg, borrow or steal his leftover (or not) dry ice, and bring it home in Omaha Steaks containers. Organ transplant shipping containers also make excellent storage receptacles for dry ice. Check out your local organ donor center for a ready supply, or if you don't mind a used one head to your closest transplant hospital. Just make sure it's empty before you glom off with it. Not much smells worse than a decomposed kidney or liver after a few days in your trunk, chasing down a Good Humor truck. The dry ice has the useful quality of sublimating at normal atmospheric pressures, so it doesn't actually melt, it vaporizes. No nasty spills all over your nice motherboard. However, water vapor WILL condense, so it will be necessary to seal off and insulate your MB and all nearby cards. I recommend GE conformal silicone and closed cell neoprene. A small price to pay after all the trouble you've gone to procure a supply of hard CO2. You might not get up to 2174 Mhz for a few minutes with your 1.333 Ghz T-Bird like the BunnyMan, but you'll have the satisfaction of cranking up that supercooled bad boy higher that any peltier or waterblock rig on the block for next to nothing!

Remember to use common sense procedures when handling the dry ice and you won't have problems.
DON'T pick it up with bare hands when stoking your chips.
DON'T try to find out if your tongue will stick to it.

If you try the Good Humor Supercooling Method post your results for all to marvel at. If later, you decide it's not your cup of tea, all your efforts were not wasted. You can always invite some friends over, offer them something to drink, and drop chunks of the remaining dry ice in their drinks, prior to serving. The resulting fog pouring from their glasses will certainly give them something to think about. If they were uncertain about your sanity before, they'll no longer have any doubts.

I think it's great that someone is out there pushing the envelope, but what's the point? It is slightly impractical for those who lack a ready supply of liquid N2 and aren't in the mood to replace their CPU's every few minutes. Still it does have a "mad scientist" flair to it. I guess Bunny's motto must be: "It sure was fun while it lasted".

I wonder if he's married?

Have fun.

Back