• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

converting maze3 to athlon64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

safemode

Assuming the amd sockets wont change, i think i heard a rumor they would soon, I was wondering about the quality of the seal of putting the new athlon64 top that dangerden sells on the block. Like what you'd use to seal it without contaminating the water or being eaten up by it. I'd really rather just put some kind of hold down that goes over the block instead of swapping the top. Has anyone done this either? I think dangerden only has replacement tops, not any kind of holddown that goes over a previous designed top.

a holddown adapter wouldn't be difficult to make. I'm sure you could do it with a simple hacksaw and a drill if you have one. Probably 1/4" aluminum would work well and be easy to work with.

I've taken my Maze3 apart several times and have never had any problem with the top sealing. The rubber seal does quite a good job if you make sure it is clean. Just wipe off any residue and try to tighten it the same amount as they did originally.

I'm leaning towards a holddown adapter over redoing the top if i can. I dont want to break the water containment. I haven't opened or modified/maintained the water in the water cooling system in over 2 years now. I really rather not mess with a good thing. It's been running 24/7 (save for moves between school) at the same temperatures since i put it together. Plus, putting it back together would be very hard to do while at school.

I know this may sound off what you want but here goes. Sell off the maze3 and buy the Swiftech A64 block. They both work about the same and what you get for your block will cover most of the cost of the new. The new block won't have any chance of movement or the hold down breaking. Just my .02. :)

yea, but aside from my not wanting to open the system, why would i buy another block to get the same performance i'd get from just buying dangerden's holddown or new top? I could see if i was using something that clipped (not a chance) or if i was making it myself, but i dont plan on it.

Back