• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 computer "farm"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BKPBS

well im new to folding and I'm going to build a new main computer and thought it would be cool to build a small dedicated folding box.
Becasue I'm also buying a new main computer the 2 dedicated computers must be very cheap. I was thinking of basically just getting two amd based systems and putting the motherboards on a plywood "rack". I havent checked prices out on anything yet but was thinking of this for the 2 of them

Abit NF7/ any cheaper suggestions?
AMD 1800 or 2500 Barton overclocked(2200mhz?)
Both run off a antec/fortron 550 psu
cheap 3200/3500 ram
Very cheap video cards
run off of overclockix

dont no if everything is there but how does this sound to you guys?
They will have to be run on a 56k modem so im not sure if that will cause any problems with overclockix/ my ISP

Thanks

BKPBS said:
well im new to folding and I'm going to build a new main computer and thought it would be cool to build a small dedicated folding box.
Becasue I'm also buying a new main computer the 2 dedicated computers must be very cheap. I was thinking of basically just getting two amd based systems and putting the motherboards on a plywood "rack". I havent checked prices out on anything yet but was thinking of this for the 2 of them

Abit NF7/ any cheaper suggestions?
AMD 1800 or 2500 Barton overclocked(2200mhz?)
Both run off a antec/fortron 550 psu
cheap 3200/3500 ram
Very cheap video cards
run off of overclockix

dont no if everything is there but how does this sound to you guys?
They will have to be run on a 56k modem so im not sure if that will cause any problems with overclockix/ my ISP

Thanks

hmmm im sure you canf ind cheaper mobo's...

maybe the apox 8rda is cheaper

I don't recommed Overclockix to dial-up users, though it might work.

One problem is that Overclockix thinks there must be a constant internet connection. When it boots it tries to download folding@home right away. But it can't do that for a dial-up user because they must first configure their dialer.

Also, there is not a very easy way to deterimine which modems are supported. Most cheap ones (winmodems) are not supported. I have added a few modem drivers, but I have no way to test if they work. No one has reported back to me if they do or not.

Best bet is to get cable or DSL and a router. Though I guess you could have a windows computer with a modem and NIC to act as a gateway and plug in a switch behind it in order to share a dial-up connection...

As for your hardware, you can go much cheaper if you try. Are you fixated on Nforce2 and expensive ram for some reason? You could easily save a lot of money by getting cheaper non-overclockable motherboards (with integrated LAN and video) for like $30-40 and then spend $75 on XP2400+ CPU's. Add a cheap stick of 128 or 256mb PC2100 for $20-40 and you're set.

Yup GO CHEAP!

First off, the $36 or even $27 350 watt or 300 watt Fortrons with 120mm fans can be split to run 2 boards, no need to spend that much more on the 550 Watt.

Get a board with on board everything, it's cheaper than buying a motherboard, video card and/or NIC.

If you are wanting to overclock a little, don't worry about getting a board with tons of OCing options, just wire mod for higher multi's and then adjust the FSB in the bios if possible in the board you get. I wouldn't go all out with the NF7's and better than PC2700 unless it's going to be the main OCing rig.

Last edited:
Yeh im kinda new at this so I expected this Kind of response^_^
any suggestions on cheap motherboards? Thats good to know a lower power psu can power them both because the 550 cost is a lot! I would like to overclock it a little bit so I thought I could find some cheap 3200 ram(buffalo?)
If I keep them in my house they are stuck on dial-up but If i bring them to work(my Dad owns it) they could have dsl and 55F temp all winter.

You can overclock them, just make sure you have a good heatsink like a SK6 or better and good overall airflow as stacks tend to produce some heat. My layers don't have OCing options and are using stock type sinks so they don't OC well with wire mods. Find my 2 threads titled Cheap Farm Parts and More Farm Parts for some good deals, keep an eye on the Newegg refurbs, I missed out on the 300 Watt Fortron with the 120mm fan today for $17! I plan on my next to layers being OCed a little bit with better heatsinks than the stock type I use currently.

WELCOME TO THE TEAM, AND THE ADDICTION!!!! FOLD ON!!!

Galaxy gc88 is a decent all copper HSF for mild overclocking and only like $15 shipped from newegg. It's not super, but it'll do especailly in a cool room.

The biostar M7VKQ is highly acclaimed by folding farmers but I've had an overclockix user test it and there is a problem getting the onboard lan to work, even though the driver is there. Also avoid any Nforce1 chipset boards as overclockix does not have chipset drivers for them.

If you happen to find an issue with the boards you do choose, let me know and I'll work on fixing it in a future version of overclockix. You can always add in a $5 realtec NIC if you have to....

Yeah I suppose generic PC3200 is not really that more $ than regular PC2100.

Though not the perfect candidates like Arkaine was talking about (no onboard vid or LAN), these Newegg refurb KD7-E motherboards would be great folders, only $37.00.

The KT333 is somewhat outdated, but it will overclock and fold very strong. My 8K3A+ runs 200 FSB with no problem, and with my XP1700 at 2.3, turns in a lot of points.

I have been running a small 'farm' here (just 3 rigs now). I will however be adding a new router for 4 more. some are small. but all fold. Im VERY new and managed to eek out just over 11k as of last night. I love doing this and hope your farm grows nice and big :))

4 port router + 4 port router = 6 ports available for computers.

I tried it, and decided an 4 port router + 8 port switch (10 ports for computers) was a better solution, and cheaper.

Usually, an uplink port is the same as a regular port. If you use it, it disables one regular port. So going from uplink to uplink, uplink to regular, or regular to regular will always be the same- one regular port on each router will be used in cross-linking or will be made unuseable by crosslinking.

At least, that how things worked out for me when I ran a Linksys and D-link together.

Nevermind about the M7VKQ or other sis chipset boards with integrated LAN when considering Overclockix.

I've found a workaround.

When you boot the CD, use this code:

knoppix noapic

And then the integrated NIC will work.

Back