• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High temps? Sorry about the poor cooling rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dragon_788

Registered
I have the system in my sig, a 2800+ currently @ stock 2.083ish and I would like to overclock. The problem is this is my primary (and currently only) computer and I am a bit cautious about frying anything as the whole shebang cost me quite a load even though I am buddies with the shop owner. The deal is that I had a Volcano 11+, quite a screaming banshee when cranked to the max and I am one of those if it isn't going max speed why is it running. Well since I had invested in a WC rig while scrouging up my rig I decided to give it a go. The problem is I went a little cheap and bought a Thermaltake Aquarius II, probably not bad in and of itself, and it matches my Xaser III case sort of, but I am getting 47 C from the diode at idle and 41 from the socket at idle. When I am running Windows Media Player and searching for media it quite nicely 100% the CPU for quite some time (large collection and volume leveling) and the load temps are around 50 C. This isn't terrible I know, but with the 11+ I was running around 38-41 idle to load. I have since traded the 11+ with a smidge of cash to a fellow for an SLK900A in mint condition, but without a fan. I am at the end of my rope with the WC system. I know I'm dumb since I haven't actually mixed any of the coolant concentrate into the mix, will this really help? Otherwise I think I will try my luck with the 900 and a TT case fan I got with the Xaser III and replaced with a UV fan. Can anybody help me get a lower CPU temp or is this one decent enough to allow for a little overclocking. I'd like to do mainly FSB OCing but I don't think my RAM will allow for it since its pretty cheap stuff. So then I'll have to do a bit of multi tweakin which will raise the temps a bit and I have been REALLY nice to this thing in terms of temps, the highest I've EVER had it was around maybe 53 on a really hot summer day. Thanks so much for all the info I have been able to find so far, hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on this for me.

Edited for terrible English mistakes, and its my native tongue!!!

well from a lot of threads on these forums I've heard that the aquarius 2 is a very poor performer when compared to other wc'ing kits and DIYs. I hate to say it but i think an slk900 with a decent fan would beat it.

I know I've read some posts about how great the SLK900A is, I was just wondering if it will be able to keep the same 3-4 C change from idle to load that the Aquarius II has so far been able to manage, and will the Aquarius start sucking it up if I overclock a bit more?

Back