• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gettin a little hot...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plague

ok, so i wanted to run my system a little cooler, so i lowered the voltage a notch and ran at the fastest i could at that vcore, 1386 mhz. well pcprobe is tellin me its 60C. i know probe is about 10C high, but even 50C is too hot, im just readin stuff on the web. im thinkin about re-applying AS or maybe lapping my hsf, does that really help a lot? id like to run it back up at 1406, but the higher vcore causes more heat...any ideas??

Well you have a well regarded hsf so here are some of the areas I would check to find the reason for you high heat...

[unorder=disc]
[#]Clean and reapply your thermal grease, and use a good compound such as Artic Silver II
Review
Buy
[#]Here is an article on the possibility of lapping too much, I have not had much experience with lapping but the basics are using a mirror or piece of glass with the sand paper on it to get a flat polished surface. But I know that after lapping if you simply pick the hs/block up off the table too fast you can change the surface and make it so it is not flat.
Theories on lapping to much
[#]Do you have good case ventilation? Here are some article on that, if you don’t have a constant flow of fresh cool air into the case than your hsf will not work well at all.
Hoot's case blower article
"Maximizing air flow" by Texmaster
Useful fan info
[/unorder]

Also remember that in theory you can only get as cool as ambient temp, and hsf's are not that efficient so they will probably not be able to get your cpu down to ambient temps, so if you are in a really hot room your system will run rather hot as compared to if you were in a cool room. Basic I know, but a lot of people forget about this.

Back