• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 1.2 & TUSL2-C/ Aiming 133FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

camb03

Registered
I finally did the vid pin mod on this combo and it worked fine, I got default 1.65 volts. Problem is it will not post pass 128 FSB with 1.675 volts and temps at 55 C with load. It did 1548@129 FSB for a while but then it would not boot. I tried raising voltage step by step all the way to 1.8 and it still would not post.

Could it be my PCI bus at 42Mhz or more of a cooling issue? At some point after trying 131,132,133 the system would not boot at all. I took it apart, undo the vid pin mod and got it back to post at 1200. I thought it went south for a second.

For cooling I am using Dow Corning 340 Silicone Heat Sink Compound and Cooler Master X Dream with 80mm fan(P/N HAV-V81). I have an enermax power supply + one 80mm fan on the back and one 80mm fan on the front.

This CPU has S-spec SL5Y5 with an FPO/Batch # L203486W and is from Malaysia.

Any suggestions to try hitting 133 FSB with air cooling? My last succesful post under load was 1536@128FSB and 1.675 volts.

Thanks.

It could be both, as your temps seem rather high, (55C is quite high for that CPU.) and 42Mhz is also quite high for PCI. Your components might not be liking that.

it could also be that you are pretty much near how far your processor will overclock to using regular air cooling.

Your PCI bus is really high, but your CPU is also warm. PCI bus issues tend to be more HDD issues and malfunctioning PCI devices then general stability problems in my expierence (although somethimes it can be hard to tell the difference: a corrupt hdd can cause OS issues that make it unstable, overclocked RAM can end up sending bad data to the hdd). I think that my first angle of attack would be better cooling. Do socket A HSFs fit on socket370?

IIRC, the 1/4 divider doesn't kick in until 134 on the TUSL2-C. Perhaps some PIII guru could step in with info regarding that. Try 134, though.

Edit: It seems like your temps are a bit high for a Tualatin. If you can get a better HSF you might be better off.

Cooling suggestion for Tualatin Celeron 1.2

Can you guys post what cooling you are using for your Tualatin Celerons?

The 1/4 PCI divider should kick in at 133 FSB. The PCI bus at or above 40 MHz is probably going to be unstable. Tualatin load CPU temps should stay at or below mid-40's. There are lots of good coolers available. Since the socket A coolers fit on socket 370 CPUs, just look to see what the AMD people are using. I just put a Volcano 7 cooler on a 1.0A Tualatin last night and it worked great. Went 133 FSB on default voltage and temps are in the upper 30's.

I have a stock AMD Barton HSF running on my Tualatin. At 1605/1.63v it runs in the upper 30s.

Edit: I just did a search and in a couple of threads people said the TUSL2-C had problems with its 1/4 divider kicking in at 133. If I can find more information I'll link it. It may just be that your processor can't handle 133 unless you get some good cooling.

Last edited:
You are almost there..... try to OC with open casing and see whether stability will improve. Make sure 1/4 PCI divider is used, so you try 134 FSB.

My Celeron 1.2 is a good boy @ 145 FSB.

I think you can hit more than 133fsb if your mobo starts to divide 1/4 from 133. It may require higher voltage despite I saw that celeron tualatin usually work around 1.6v. 55C is also quite alot for that cpu, unless your case temperature is around 40C.
MIne is at 43C using volcano7+ (low rpm) and a 30C case temp.

Right now is working stable at 1820MHz (1.3GHz Cel) and a 1.53v.
I think I got the best celeron ever, my memory is crap so everything over 140fsb causes errors because of pc133 cas3 mem but the chip is great doing a 140MHz (1.82GHz) @ 1.53v.
Mobo used is MSI 6337 Lite 5.0.

Also I saw some stability improvement in winxp if I choosed not to install acpi.

good luck

First.........get the temp down. When I was building my Plll S
I remember problems with the TUSL2-C and the 1/4 divider,
go to 134 FSB.

SL5Y5 is a old stepping Tualatin.....

These CPU is not good for overclocking.

The problem is caused by the core of CPU, I am sorry to tell you that it cannot run 133FSB easily~

I have 1,4. It is SL6JU, and Tb1(the newest). Is it good for overclocking? My aim is fsb 133 too :) It's posible?

Kean said:
I have 1,4. It is SL6JU, and Tb1(the newest). Is it good for overclocking? My aim is fsb 133 too :) It's posible?

I'd say your chances of getting 133MHz out of that CPU are real close to zero. The 1.4's don't run that fast. You might be able to get up around 120-125MHZ but there's no guarantee of that either.

Back