• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2mb vs 8mb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i think the buffer would come into play more so when burning. specially if you're burning DVD's. the 8MB would be much more reliable and is prolly where i would go if i was in the market for that.

Cache size on the harddrive is like a going from a 5400 to a 7200 rpm drive. Its like a night and day type of thing. It helps when copying and reading files tremendusly. Trust me when I upgrade my 7200rpm 2mb cache drives to some nice 10,000 8mb drives im going to see the light at the end of the tunnel for preformance.

For Burning DVD's and such it won't make a difference if you got a 2mb or a 8mb. Your harddrive is way faster then what a DVD drive could burn at to begin with in the first place.

BTW I got a the Plextor 8x Drive. Now it only has 2mb of cache and I havn't seen it dip below 99% cache capacity buring at its max speed. Now thats burning at 11mb/s and 2mb or 8mb isn't going to make a difference in that because it will just eat it up no matter what.

As for the 8mb drives your going to usually see a nice price jump in them compared to others, and thats just because they are charging more for the extra cache usually.

I don't know about how much good 8MB of cache will do on a DVD+-R(W), but I think there may be some response increases of the cache. I've got a DVD-ROM with only 2MB of cache, and it will stutter if I stop the playback for a few minutes. If I stop a movie for a few minutes and restart it, it sucks it up from the cache faster than the drive can spin up and it's a little annoying while watching. I'm not sure if a 8MB drive will fix that, but it should at least help :)

JigPu

Back