• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Not-so-common chips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
so give me all the details about what cooling the things like the south bridge, or audio codecs will do..

I am really interested into making a very nice system, which I will always be tinkering with , since I wo'nt upgrade until I can afford a Dual, or maybe quad Opteron as easily as a P2.

I'm thinking that having heatsinks on everything such as the southbridge will overall cool the motherboard, and increase longevity, stability, and the life expectency of the board.

or it could absorb the heat floating around in the case..lol but that wuldn't make a noticeable difference.. :(

so any ideas?

and this is not a thread on HOW-TO apply it..just what and why.

cooling components such as the southbridge, and mosfets would probably extend the life of the board to some degree. Any old heatsink, a hacksaw and a little ingenuity will work. Just cut an old heatsink to size and use some thermal tape or adhesive to secure it. I wouldn't think your audio chipset/s should be getting that hot but if so Hell-sinki it :). The components you are cooling are much hotter than the air inside your case. Heat is transferring from hot molecules in hs to cooler air molecules, so unless the air in your case is hotter than the components you're cooling the air makes no diff.

hope that helps. good luck with your project

yeah, I know thanks..

I have a feeling this thread will die now..lol

you might as well cool everthing. Hey, I even my friend has a NIC card (gigibit) that CAME with a heat sink, I don't think there is anything in your system that can be hurt through cooling

yeah, I figure that that is what I am going to do... cool everything..

And I have thermal compound on my NIC and 56K modem.. :)

why... if there is nothing else on top of the compuind it does no good whatsoever, the purpose of the compund is to provide a greater surface area medium to transfer the heat from the source to the cooling source...

yes, that is the reason for it..but I think(using common sense) that it is better to have that there than nothing..since it can act as a heatsink for parts that arn't even worthy to have heatsinks.

Wouldn't you rather have 99% pure silver on a chip than nothing at all?

What kind of MOBO are you looking at? Like some people said ^up there, just cut up an old HS, paste it on your southbridge and your mosfets.
I'm thinking that having heatsinks on everything
yeah, but that isn't the issue here.
Don't be a hypocrit. The mosfets get hot, therefore you would want to cool them. And you say...
yes, that is the reason for it..but I think(using common sense) that it is better to have that there than nothing
...that you use common sence. HA. Don't be such a fool. Don't you know that silver is electrically conductive? Do you WANT to short-circuit something?

a12bc3:cool:

"...that you use common sence. HA. Don't be such a fool. Don't you know that silver is electrically conductive? Do you WANT to short-circuit something?" abc..

thermal compound is not electronically conductive (mostly) and I am not putting it on the wires or anything!

Think before you speak..maybe you'll get a good reputation around here.

Foxie3a said:
"...that you use common sence. HA. Don't be such a fool. Don't you know that silver is electrically conductive? Do you WANT to short-circuit something?" abc..

thermal compound is not electronically conductive (mostly) and I am not putting it on the wires or anything!

Think before you speak..maybe you'll get a good reputation around here.

well depends on what type of thermal compound you are talking about

and try to keep this thread clean

yes, it does depend on the compound, I was talking about AS3.

ive been wanting to know this aswell... i started messing around w/ some old gpu hsf's on different chips and what not and was wanting to know the best ones to cool for the best effects...

and.. this is going to be a stupid question.. but mosfets.. i here everyone tlking about them.. ive attempted to research them.. but i cant figure out what or where they are. could someone plz tell me? thnx for the hlp

-AcidBurn-

the mosfets are usually next to the cpu in the vicinity of the capacitors. putting thermal compound on a component w/o a heatsink will NOT help you! In fact, if there was any change at all, it would hurt you, because theres one more thermal interface between the chip and the air, with nothing there to improve it.

well, isn't it better to have a heatsink than not to?

and once thermal compound dries it is hard, so then it is a hard silver heatsink.

Southbridge, Mosfets, NB (duh:D), video RAM, network card (I guess, since somone said they had a Gigabit card come with one, though I have never heard of this with lower speed cards), and this little chip that controls the FSB a lil, don't remember what its called but on the NF7-S its near the mosfets and cooling it is known to give you a few extra MHZ on your OC.

I don't think as3 really dires the way you are thinking, and as sqeakygeek said the gain in suface area is negliable and since thermal paste isn't a GREAT thermal conductor (better than air but not metals and stuff) it would probably hurt more than help if you don't put a heatsink on there.

Thermal compound without a heatsink will have no effect, unless you sculpt it into little fins... :rolleyes:

You're wasting your AS3...

Explain how your as3 heatsink is adding surface area to the chip. if you look at a heatsink, it has fins on it, to increase surface area, and allow the heat to transfer to a greater amount of air. I havent read anywere where the people making as3 or any other thermal epoxy will tell you to do such a thing. reason being, it doesnt do you any good.

The purpose of thermal epoxy is:
1.) Allow heatsinks in places that a heatsink would be difficult to add.

2.) improve thermal transfer from the devise being cooled to a HEATSINK!

consider this the surface of your chip being cooled:
magnified of corse

----^---^^---___--^^---

and a heatsink

-^^--^--__--__--^^-^--

See, they are different, the voids will be filled when you apply a thermal paste/epoxy. that is what the stuff is for. It was never intended to be put on a chip without a heatsink being added also.

EDIT:

How about, you try your 99% silver theory on your cpu, and use a friends computer to tell us the results :D

Back