Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Forum Jump

Is my psu enough for the system?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 11-01-03, 09:19 AM Thread Starter   #1
Firochromis

Is my psu enough for the system?

Hi I have an AOpen case and FSP 300 ATV 60 is running on it.

I'm using Asus mobo and it has a program named Asus Probe which monitors the temperatures, voltages etc. Recently I, O/Ced the system and add Zalman cpu fan instead of stock fan, extra case fan, a hdd and a cdrw. My problem is Asus Probe sometimes give some alerts like, "Chasis Fan/cpu fan/power fan voltage is zero." Although I can see that they are working I thought that this can be a power problem. Do you think that PSU is not enough for the system in my sig?

(The components not included to my sig are: Two hdds, a few case fan, one cd rom and one cd rw)

Regards
Firochromis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-01-03, 09:32 AM   #2
mdcomp
Classic Moderator Admin
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge

Re: Is my psu enough for the system?

Quote:
Originally posted by Firochromis
Hi I have an AOpen case and FSP 300 ATV 60 is running on it.
Is that a 300w power supply?? Anyways, it should be just enough for what you have. Can you post what the voltages are. The 5v rail is the one that really determines stability and that should be close to 5v. As I said, it should be ok, but post the voltages so we can be sure. If you are not seeing any issues that means its probably fine. The alert is probably a false reading or something.

Matt

mdcomp is offline Author Profile Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-01-03, 10:10 AM   #3
larva
Inactive Moderator

The 12V is the crucial line on a P4, not the 5V.

That supply should be fine at 3GHz. If you increase the clock rate much past 3GHz you will see the 12V line wilt. For a rough idea of the load condition, set the cpu to stock clock rate and voltage and compare the 12V readings to what you get with your normal 3GHz settings. If you see a marked decline, the supply is overloaded.

At no point worry about junk software like the Asus Probe.

Memory 4x512MB BH5 - DDR440-2,2,2,5------------------------------------------------------Memory 2x512MB Corsair VS400-2.5,3,3,8
Cooling Scythe Ninja w/103cfm 120x38mm Sanyo-------------------------------------------Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 4 w/Intel 92mm fan
Sound SoundBastid Live Case AMS gTower PS TPII-480----------------------------------Sound Integrated audio Case Antec SLK1650 PS SP2-350
Storage 74GB Raptor - 2x200GB Samsung - LG4167b DVD-RW------------------------Storage 2x160GB Hitachi SATA - LG4163b DVD-RW - 250MB Zip
Display Dell 2005FPW 20" widescreen LCD Printer - Canon i9900
---------------Display Viewsonic VX2025 20" widescreen LCD Printer - Canon i860
larva is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-01-03, 10:15 AM   #4
mdcomp
Classic Moderator Admin
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by larva
The 12V is the crucial line on a P4, not the 5V.
Thanks for the info... . Never used a p4 before.

Matt

mdcomp is offline Author Profile Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-01-03, 11:01 AM   #5
modenaf1

and yes I agree but still, keep an eye on both rails just to be on the safe side. Usually you dont want your 5v rail or your 12 to drop or get out of spec by too much. From my experience though, you shouldnt have to worry about your negative rails. My -12 volt rail is at 7 and everything is fine. I assume it is not a critical rail for the mobo or anything, becuase in the BIOS there is not even a section to see what the negative rails are. I just see that from looking at MBM5, or sisoft sandra, or Windbond HWdoctor.

Going back on topic to the origional question, if that is a 300 watt power supply, you should be fine. Although it will limit your overclock at some point. I was a "came with the case" 300 W PSu, it dosnet even have that extra 12v connector for the mobo, and the case AND psu came to a total of $19.99. I am able to run my Tbred B AMD 1700 at 2.45 Ghz and 1.75 Vcore just fine. But any more than that, and just like mdcomp said, the 5volt rail drops and my system becomes unstable.

Quote:
Originally posted by mdcomp

Thanks for the info... .

Matt

Last edited by modenaf1; 11-01-03 at 11:54 AM.
modenaf1 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-01-03, 12:52 PM   #6
Deathknight

Quote:
Originally posted by mdcomp

Thanks for the info... . Never used a p4 before.

Matt
Actually more and more AMD motherboards are powering the cpu with the 12v rail as well. Makes it even harder to give advice on PSUs unless you know the motherboard
Deathknight is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-02-03, 08:51 AM Thread Starter   #7
Firochromis

Hi, thank you for the replies.

I checked 12v readings from both setup and Asus probe. They are same and between 11,734 - 11,855. And there is no difference in 12v rail between the stock speed and o/ced case.

I think this values are a bit low? What do you think?

BTW, it is a 300W suply.
Old 11-02-03, 09:04 AM Thread Starter   #8
Firochromis

Hi,

MBM 5, monitors +12v rail as 11,97v - 12,03v. I'm reading the values frým dashboard.
Old 11-02-03, 02:32 PM   #9
modenaf1

hmm, to me it looks alright. Is it stable at your max O/C? Do they drop more that that? If it is stable and they dont drop more that than that, i guess that answers your question, it is good enough.

Quote:
Originally posted by Firochromis
Hi, thank you for the replies.

I checked 12v readings from both setup and Asus probe. They are same and between 11,734 - 11,855. And there is no difference in 12v rail between the stock speed and o/ced case.

I think this values are a bit low? What do you think?

BTW, it is a 300W suply.
modenaf1 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Power Supplies and Electronic Devices