• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sporadic Overclocks and Failures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BboySkid

Registered
I'm having some problems overclocking. If I set my rig up to 1 GHz, it boots up fine most of the time, but then sometimes when I reboot, it hangs on bootup and next time i boot it says it hung because of the invalid CPU speed, and sets everything back to stock settings. When it succeeds in booting up, it works perfectly, I've tested it with everything and no errors or anything
ive tried overclocking to like 950 and it still does the same thing
i used the defogger paint to unlock my bridges but am wondering if it could be a botched job and only works sometimes
should i try reapplying the paint?

1. did you up your voltage? put it at 1.85
2. if you did, did you do it via the bios or the chip.
3. if you did it in the bios set it back to default then connect all your L7 bridges to get 1.85 volts.

i doubt you botched the job if it works sometimes. if your l1's are crossed at all it wouldnt work at all. when you set the voltage in the bios the system actually boots at the default voltage then steps it up after reading the bois. if you connect all your L7 bridges the chip will default 1.85v. thus your system will more than likely post every time. "Hope this helps"

I was having the same thing happen to me! I am running a 750 Duran 1 gig but was having sporatic boot problems. So i moved the io/vio jumper to the 3.69v setting and not one failed boot since erorr or anything i am using 256m pc100 cruical ram and it seemed to fix it long turm affects unknown dip sw set 100fsb x 10.0 multiplier 1.85v core v ran prime95 for 24hrs no sweat! I think raising the fsb dip sw created instability in the ram. I discoverd a good way to close L1s use your defroster paint, I pulled a strand of hair sized wire from an old ps made a 1/8" sized loop dipped in paint let it dry a few seconds dipped again let it dry then dipped and made bridge perfect lines no smudges no blobs worked great I even scraped it of and did it again. GOOD LUCK! MORE IS NEVER ENOUGH.

hehe ok i think i might try the I/O voltage thing, then the L7 bridges
thanks for the responses

ok i tried moving the VIO jumper and it wouldnt let me boot in ANY overclocked state sp i switched it back
im working at 1Ghz (7x143) at only 1.7v right now, i used to use 1.85
is too much voltage bad sometimes? i havent tried constant reboots yet im testing the stability right now

well it can be ok or bad or really bad. its ok if your cooing is adiquate and it should last about 3 yrs at 1.85 volts and under 50c load temps or possibly longer. now it can be bad with high temps and super high voltages like 2.1v and 60c they usually dont last over 1yr like that, now with poor cooling and high temps you can feasibly kill your chip in 1 hour. just use your commen sense if you stay under 50c and 1.9 volts it should last untill its an obsolete peice of you know what , most overclockers dont expect their chips to last for 4 yrs but most of us dont care the second a new generation of cpu is out we want to tweak that, hehe,

Back