• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cables!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfeinstein

Disabled
i'm planning to buy some cables for my floppy drive and dvd and cdrw is there any brand that are better than other but i dont think a 10$ cable will be better than a 3$

and for cable managment shouls i get heatshrink tubes or expandable sleeving which one is better? i have no experience in cable managment! i just need something on the power supply cable and for the 3-4 pin cables which are thin the PS cabe is thicker.

It really matters what brand you get for drive cables. I never even think or know about what brand of ide cables. I guess you can save a little bit by getting just ATA33 cables for your cd-rom drives instead of ATA100 cables.

Cable management has been my specialty for the last few weeks:) Just round out your regular flat ribbon cables by slicing with a VERY SHARP razor blade evry few wires across in-between them. No need to slice the entire length as you can pull them apart fairly easy once you get about a half inch cut started. Bunch up the smaller flat cables and wrap VERY TIGHTLY with electrical tape. This will give you the ability to 'pose' your cables in any fashion when you are done. After that, run down to your local auto store and get some wire loom. It comes in many colors and sizes for you to be creative. Wrap up your cables with this and cable tie them evry 2 inches or so. Works and looks GREAT! Gives the inside of your case that industrial look. Way cheaper than buying pre rounded cables too. Electrical tape...$2.50, 5 foot of wire loom...$5.00, Look on your friends face when they see the custom look...priceless.

As a note. Be very careful cutting your cables with the razor blade. TAKE YOUR TIME!!! If you do happen to expose any wire without slicing through it, you can just wrap a little electrical tape around the exposed part. If you cut the wire you have to start over with a fresh cable.

Last edited:
SVC.com has $.99 yellow 18" dual device round IDE cables. Add a floppy cable if you need and your all set.

Back