• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dream game server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
what kinda server would you's liek to play on ? like what kidna hardware and what kinda games installed. :)

nothing to crazy though, try to keep it real.

crazy as in dual athlon 2X00's w/ 1-2 gb of ram

or

crazy as in 8 way opteron 2 ghz and 8 gigs ram and SCSI drives :)

Whats your price range?

Last edited:
I'm building a diuallie to serve some files. I was thinking I could serve some games now and then too. Like NWN and UT2k3....

Dual 2400+ @ ???? but aiming for 2250
512mb ram to start
Debian Linux
2200down/740 up

Last edited:
I don't understand the confusion these days on this topic
Basic hyperthreading P4
Gig o ram
Solid T connection
But most important, a good manager that knows how to advertise the server as well as he can manage it.
Its a server, just has to handle the data and bandwidth.

So far as the games go, anything but they should be run for a couple of years not a couple of months.

If the server is just for dedicated use of say a game or website why spend all this money? Your better off spending it firstly on a damn good WAN connection say minimum of 100MB upstream and down stream 100% dedicated. And you can run an FTP ,HTTP server off a 1Ghz processor with 128MB ram, I'm currenlty running 2 websites, 1 FTP server and a BF1942 Dedicated server off the following:

100MB Up & down stream Fiber Optic dedicated Line
Shuttle XPC SN45G
Athlon XP 2500 + (Overclocked to Athlon XP 3200 + speeds)
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200 DDR RAM
120Gb Seagate Baracuda

If on the other hand your going to be using it for a heap of otherstuff then i can understand.

but as itizme says for a game servers its more about advertising and Admin, No point having a state of the art server with a good WAN connection and no admin or 56k dailup. If you want a good Desert Combat server try www.ocg.sergame.com or ocg.servegame.com in the game browser engine. ;)

Last edited:
hell for half-life mods on a lan

my old p3 700, 384mb pc 133 ram 20gig hdd, running gentoo, works just fine

pings in the area of 5, for about 12 people

Dual AMD setup (XP's or Modded Bartons)
Lots of RAM
and a FAT internet pipe

the rest can be like pci vid, no sound and a 15" monitor

A pair of 1700's or a single Barton; Gig of RAM; RAID 1 or 5 array; nice big pipeline; games like BF1942/Desert Combat need about a T1 line for about 12 players :)

Last edited:
dual opteron would be nice as well... also yeah a nice fast raid setup is always good.

or a beauwulf cluster of 10 or so P4C- 2.4 oced to oh say 3.0ghz

my dream server would have to include a fast fast fast internet connection(OC-3 or higher would be nice).

Probably have a dual opteron system, a few gigs of ram and it would have to host 64 player bf matches.

My Dream server would be

Dual AMD XP 3200+
Raid in striping mode
And an OC-45

Penguin4x4 said:
A pair of 1700's or a single Barton; Gig of RAM; RAID 1 or 5 array; nice big pipeline; games like BF1942/Desert Combat need about a T1 line for about 12 players :)

a T1 is 1.544Mbits both up and down, FPS games usually take 3 ~ 5kbytes per second upload for each player. It should be able to support up to 50 players.

Sony said:
My Dream server would be

Dual AMD XP 3200+
Raid in striping mode
And an OC-45

striping has slower seek time, not a good idea for gaming server as you want the ping as low as possible. SCSI is a better idea.

Fine then I want that for my main computer and I almost have it all I need is another maxtor 80GB and does anyone have a spare OC45 they would like to lend me =)=) j/k

hmmm.....
POWER5 eight-way processor from IBM,
SCSI RAID5 setup with 15k RPM drives
4gig of RAM
OC45

Now, that would handle any kind of servers :D

Last edited:
Sun Fire15k
  • 106 UltraSPARC III's running at 1.2GHz a piece
  • 576 GB memory
  • 10GbE connection to multiple OC48(or OC192, are those implemented yet?) backbones
  • 2TB HD Storage on SCSI HDs

That's my dream one, but if you want one obtainable (this one is atleast $5M) then I'd go for a dual Opteron 242 with a dual 10k SCSI 18GB RAID 0 setup. Running Linux of course. :)

Any server I do not have to Buy, maintain, etc. That has awasome ping times and is available whenever I want to Play.

That is the perfect server!

Back