• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I upgrade my P/S to Fortron/Sparkle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trimai

I just recently build a dual AMD system with the following configuration:

Motherboard: K7D Master (no LAN)
CPUs: 2 XP1800+ MP modded & overclocked to 17*133
H/S: Two SK7 with Sunon fans (39CFM)
Memory: 1 stick of non buffered Buffalo Technologies 512M (PC3200)
Hard Drive: 80 Gb Western Digital (8Mb)
16 x DVD ROM
48x12x48 CDRW Burner
P/S: Channel Well 420W
Video Card: ATI 9100
5 x 80mm case fans (2 Sunon in the front, two Antec on the back and one Sunbeam on the side panel)

I have tested system stability with various utilities: Sandra Burn In Test, CPU Stability, 3D Mark2001 loop. I also have run two instances of Prime95 for more than 24 hours without any problem. The Vcore is now at 1.65V. At idle, CPU0 is at 42C and CPU1 is at 47C. Under full load, CPU0 is at 48C and CPU1 is at 54C. Even though the system is stable, I got a problem. One or two times out of ten the system will not cold boot. I have to switch off the P/S. Then switch it on, wait between 5 to 10 seconds and then it will boot properly. I have asked question in the SMP section and they think that I may not have adequate P/S to power my system. I have several options:

1) Keep the Channel Well. I am not convinced that this is a P/S problem (people at 2cpu.com has the same problem with various dual AMD M/B and 550w antec P/S)

2) Buy a new Fortron/Sparkle P/S from newegg. Should I buy the 530w or the 460w? The Fortron 530w seems to have more power but the 460w was designed for dual AMD M/B (as indicated in its description). The prices of the two units are pretty much the same.

If it's a real Channel Well 420 (PP-412X), it should be plenty stout for your rig. If it's one of these fake Channel Well "turbolink" POS's, it may well be a power supply issue. The 350W Fortron with the snazzy 120mm fan has been known to power rigs like yours very well, or you could go for the 530 if you really want to make sure.

The 460 is a pretty nice supply also, with two independant 12V lines. It is an EPS unit though (24pin ATX), so bear in mind that you may have to purchase an adaptor and/or modify the wiring if your board is standard 20 pin ATX. Myself I tend to favor the 530, as it is a much more modern design, but the 460 would likely be excellent for your application as well. The Antec True Power 430-550 are excellent supplies as well.

It's possible the 420 is running out of steam, but I'm not totally sure it's the PSU either; even though yours is way more loaded down than mine. If you do replace it, I would try for the Fortron 460 myself being more optimized for duals. However, I would keep the CWT around anyway... it would make a great backup unit.

My Channel Well is genuine Channel Well (PP-412x). The 460w claimed to be optimized for dual AMD. What is the difference between the 460w and 530w from Fortron? Under heavy load (2 instances of Prime), MBM reports 3.22V on the 3.3V and 4.91 on the 5V line, and 11.93V in the 12V line. For my M/B, I do not know if the CPU draw power on the 5V or the 12V line.

Although you don't know anything about the voltages until you put a voltmeter on them, I surely don't see any sign of overload in your case.

As stated above, the FSP has two independant 12V lines. The 530 has one. I don't know if your board derives Vcore from the 5V or the 12V either, but you had better find out before getting the 460. It is weak on the 5V line in comparson to the 350, 400 or 530 so you had best be sure your board is deriving Vcore from the 12V line before choosing the 460.

I strongly doubt there is anything wrong with your current supply.

trimai said:
...The 460w claimed to be optimized for dual AMD. What is the difference between the 460w and 530w from Fortron? ...
Save yourself a headache and DO NOT get the 460W... As larva said it has a 24pin ATX connector, NOT the normal 20 pin like your K7D has. I run a 350W Fortron and a 400W Fortron in my 2 duallies, the 400W is plenty.

trimai said:
Under heavy load (2 instances of Prime), MBM reports 3.22V on the 3.3V and 4.91 on the 5V line, and 11.93V in the 12V line.

Try a multimeter if you can get your hands on one... your mbm readings aren't too far from my own (3.35, 4.75, 11.92), and the meter would give you a better idea what's happening at the PSU. If the system is booting 8 times out of 10 and running rock solid stable each time, then I doubt the PSU is at fault.

nikhsub1 said:

Save yourself a headache and DO NOT get the 460W... As larva said it has a 24pin ATX connector, NOT the normal 20 pin like your K7D has. I run a 350W Fortron and a 400W Fortron in my 2 duallies, the 400W is plenty.

I'd have to agree.
Why deal with having to buy a $6 20-24pin ATX adapter
when the 400 watt Fortron is available?

Which reminds me ........
....... the 400w AOpen PSU is only $65 w/ship
compared to $72 w/ship for the 400w Fortron.

AOpen 400w
Fortron 400w

And as we all know, ... AOpen, Verax, SPI, & Sparkle
are just rebranded Fortron.
They're all made by "FSP Group".

Oh ..... the 300w Fortron for the spare
rig I'm building out of old used parts came in.

..... ATI 9500 G.card, RAID array & DVD drive, 120mm fans,
CCFL lights, etc ..... all that and the rails in this
rig are just as stable while OCing as when the 400w unit
was installed.

You can't beat $32 (w/ship) for a great unit like that. :D
Fortron 300w

After this I am more sure than ever that the 300w Fortron
is a better deal than the 350w model. :thup:

Last edited:
Back