• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SL5SX -P4 Willamette, good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
so, is this a good stepping or not?

SL5Sx Malay

L200A535-0207

P4 1.5ghz/256/400/1.75

All I'm asking is the stepping.

Well there aren't many of us who have experience with these original P4 willamette steppings. By the time P4 chips got reasonably affordable and everybody started to switch platforms they were already northwood based cores. If you're looking to find out what that chip overclocks to you can check out the CPU database linked on the main page.

does anyone have any personal experience with these?

There aren't any good steppings when it comes to Willamettes. These are quite simply dogs for overclocking purposes. The worst Northwood in the world is much better than the best Willamette. To be honest I'd even take a 2GHz Celeron over a Willamette, but of course the real P4 (Northwood) waxes both pretty badly.

Look, if you don't want to know the answer, don't ask the question. That's the problem with asking a question--you don't necessarily get the answer you wanted. I am not a yes-man for whatever you have decided is a good idea.

how can it be better, half of the cache..does it have the same instructions?

Cache, my friend, is not everything. There's about a 10% increase between 128 and 256. It's 10% again for 256 vs. 512.
The fact is, a willammate will hit maybe 2ghz... 2.2 if you're darn lucky. A 2.0 celeron will hit 2.4ghz easy, maybe 3.3ghz or higher.

You can talk all day about cache, and yes, the willy will beat a 2.0 celeron at a few things, but in most, the celeron will win.

Also, if you don't have anything yet, hold off... prescott celerons should be out soon, and they'll have 256K of cache. And they should be cheaper than willammate. I doubt they'll overclock well, but that's not a big issue when they'll be running at about 3ghz.

well, I was switching cases and redoing my thermal compound on my P4 so I figured I'd see if it was a "better" than normal stepping..

So it is mine.. I am getting a 2.4C in a little while anyway..it'll replace this Willy.

Actually, from what I gather, the processor you have is the D0 stepping of willammates. That is the only stepping they used for 2.0ghz willammates. In short, if you ram and board will handle it, you have a good shot at 2ghz with that thing... maybe a little more.
It's not the last stepping they made, E0 was the last willammate, but it's not a bad stepping at all.

$20 VIA mobo...$20 "Elixir" RAM that is called Nanya through software..I can definetly see the possibilities for 2ghz ;-)

As someone mentioned before, that is the last stepping for the williamette P4s. I wouldnt be suprised it reaches 2.0-2.2GHz, those later stepping Willys were not the dogs at overclocking that a lot of people make them out to be. I almost guarentee it will do 2.0GHz using 133MHz Bus if you try it, unless you are very unlucky of course :)

Also, this will outperform a Celeron by a lot....same goes for the Prescott Celerons coming up. One of Intel's nice tricks to reducing performance on those chips is cutting the cache and the associativity with it, thats why the 128K Celerons are so slow. Seen as though the Prescott Celerons are based off of the 1MB L2 Prescott Core, theres no reason to believe it will be any different on those. Chances are, a Prescott Celeron will be quite a lot slower than a Willy clock for clock, only advantage is if they are insane clockers.

Last edited:
maybe I could just buy a decent motherboard..do u think that I could get OK performance with it at 2ghz?

oh god.. newbie... :rolleyes:

celeron = pentium

celeron(p4 based) = pentium 4 with 1/4 cache the rest is disabled or if its a 1.9 and lower cele its based off the willie core so it has 1/2 cache :).

celeron 2.0 = northy p4 core meaning 133fsb up from 100 easy.

willie 1.5 = old core .18 maxes out around 2.2ghz with wicked cooling and voltage(lots).

willie 2.0 < 3.0 celeron(2.6 with 133fsb)

simple like that. as earlier stated cache isn't everything and the celeron 2.0 is also sporting the enhancements that the northwood carries. Northy > Willie clock for clock. Also the Cele will have a higher fsb meaning more overall mem bandwidth. As with all chips they vary with there mean overclock. A 2.0 cele is generally based on the B0 stepping so 3ghz isn't that hard for it.

A 1.5 willy might be good for 1750ish give or take a little. I had one of those and that's about what it would do.

i got my willy @ 2ghz from 1.8 - not 1mhz higher! :( - and that was using pc133 - so i put it into a new mobo with pc2100 and it still only hit 2ghz.

Back