• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to overclock P4T533 (my friends)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karbon

my friends PC came with a P4T533. he bought his system from somewhere, i have no clue why, but oh well. he has a nice pc, P4T533, p4 3.06, 512 ddr400, radeon 9800 pro

he says his mobo doesnt let him change the fsb and vcore in his bios, can anyone help me out here?

thanks

biggestn00bever said:
my friends PC came with a P4T533. he bought his system from somewhere, i have no clue why, but oh well. he has a nice pc, P4T533, p4 3.06, 512 ddr400, radeon 9800 pro

he says his mobo doesnt let him change the fsb and vcore in his bios, can anyone help me out here?

thanks

The thing he does not have (hopefully) is that "ddr400" ram. He would need PC4200 Rambus ram instead.
The P4T533 is overclockable like any other modern board. He can adjust the CPU and Vcore fine. Maybe he has not set CPU speed to "user define" first, and similarly for core voltage. Beginner's mistake. ;)

As FIZZ3 said the P4T533 takes RDRAM "not" DDR so that is the 1st thing to look at.

I used to have this MB. The bandwidth is awesome. Just a word to the wise i was never able to get the board above 160FSB. Simply the RDRAM is already near its OC limit so there isn't much headroom, regardless it will be a fast setup indeed.

alright thanks, he got it working. i only knew his mobo, cpu, and gfx card, i assumed he had ddr400 o.0
am i correct in saying theres little to no overclockability in this mobo? is there no way to lock the pci and agp bus? he was only able to put the fsb up by like 2, due to the pci bus. he has a p4 3.06, this mobo, and 9800p gfx card, nice setup but he cant OC

The RDRAM will limit your OC on that setup. It already runs blazing fast. You can lock the AGP/PCI to 66/33 in the BIOS just have to look for it.

^^^^^^ its not mine, and no- you cant lock agp/pci bus on that mootherboard. i already asked 3 other people i know htat have it, they all said you cant lock it.

am i correct in saying theres little to no overclockability in this mobo?

How about 180 fsb/3x? That good enough?

Yes, it will overclock, not quite as high as a BD7-II (only one of the best o/cing boards ever made), but pretty decent.

I still have two boards. The 160 fsb limit was on the RIMM4200, most maxed out at 155-158 or so, but you can run 3x on the RDRAM to get over 180 fsb if you got the CPU.

The board DOES have a PCI/AGP lock, just set it to 66/33 and it fixes it there. The early boards had problems but they seem to have gone away. The board is very fast seat-of-the-pants, even in DOS.

As Clevor said... the lock IS there. You have to set the AGP/Frequency manually, that's all. It's certainly NOT the limiting factor on this board.

By the way, a 3.06B chip will resurrect this board. They are only around $265 now. Figure good ones have 3.5 gig in them. 156/4x will get you there. That rig might perform as well as a Springdale board at 3.3 gig running 2.5-3-3-7 with SS DDR.

Clevor said:
By the way, a 3.06B chip will resurrect this board. They are only around $265 now. Figure good ones have 3.5 gig in them. 156/4x will get you there. That rig might perform as well as a Springdale board at 3.3 gig running 2.5-3-3-7 with SS DDR.

-threadjack- :D

Hey Clevor, if I'm not mistaken you're running one of these P4T533's as well, aren't you?

I've been dusting off my setup, cleaning and adjusting the watercooling and in the process my eye fell on the Northbridge sink. The sink I have is pressed firmly against the chip, which was the reason I did not remove it initially to apply some thermal paste. I decided I'd do it this time though. I expected to see some caked grease, but there was a pad of sorts beneath it instead. I removed it, amazed at it's 'fibrous' structure and put on AS3 instead.
Since I'm still busy with the system I have not been able to check for temperatures yet. So I wondered whether you have applied thermal grease to the NB sink too, and more specifically what you did with the spacer material along the edges of the sink's bottom. I left it on, but I am not sure whether it will prevent proper contact now that the thick pad is replaced with paste.

The thermal pad you see is a chromeric compound. It is rather thick. It relies on heat to melt and form a fusion between the sink and CPU.

When I remove the pad and use AS3, I remove the gasket around the periphery of the sink. I think it lifts the sink off the CPU since the chromeric pad is no longer used, and hurts cooling.

Clevor said:
The thermal pad you see is a chromeric compound. It is rather thick. It relies on heat to melt and form a fusion between the sink and CPU.

When I remove the pad and use AS3, I remove the gasket around the periphery of the sink. I think it lifts the sink off the CPU since the chromeric pad is no longer used, and hurts cooling.

The pad looked relatively un-molten to me, but no matter as its gone now. As I said I left the gasket on, and I think it's just fine- probably compressed enough by the clip (I now have a "strong clip equipped" version of the board, as opposed to an earlier one I had with a wimpy one). My temps read fine in any case, better than before.

The VRIMM mod on the P4T533-R seems to be a long forgotten issue. I know there was a thread on it long ago, but there were so many problems with the early boards additional VRIMM was the last thing on people's minds.

Since I have two boards, I may give it a try. I believe the post was on the Hardforums, or here. I have pretty good RIMMS that max out at 158-162 and I could use higher.

As far as I know, very few people did it; more have done it on the TH7II. It should help by maybe 4-6 mhz or so at 4X.

Clevor said:
The VRIMM mod on the P4T533-R seems to be a long forgotten issue. I know there was a thread on it long ago, but there were so many problems with the early boards additional VRIMM was the last thing on people's minds.

Since I have two boards, I may give it a try. I believe the post was on the Hardforums, or here. I have pretty good RIMMS that max out at 158-162 and I could use higher.

As far as I know, very few people did it; more have done it on the TH7II. It should help by maybe 4-6 mhz or so at 4X.

Yeah I never bothered either. At first I was running a 2.0A @ 133Mhz FSB so I didn't need it, and now I'm most likely near my CPU limit anyway. Nevertheless I did look a bit at VRIMM mod info. Can't help but thinking about how sweet 166Mhz 4x would be. :D
Not sure if you know the specifics etc. already, but I found a decent description of the mod here:

http://www.thenakedreview.com/index.php?p=showarticle&id=82&showpage=3

Yeah, I printed it out last night. Good thing Ace-a-Rue still had the review up on the site :clap:. It is really rather easy to do. In the review he says to keep voltage within 5% which is 2.67 VRIMM, but DDR ram is running up to 3.2. Moreover, the Epox 850E board had VRIMM to 2.9! I'm trying to locate a board now to replace the Cypress chips with ICS-13s, but even Epox has no boards. Can you believe I owned the board but sold it because of the Cypress chips??

Used RIMM4200 sticks are dirt cheap here in Japan now so are pretty expendable. My sticks all do 158-162 so I am looking for maybe 168-170. Realistically I think they'll manage 166-168 or so, depends on how well Memtest clears out with voltage.

Back