• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a HTPC need input on output!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rUfUnKy

I'm Building a HTPC (Home Theater PC) and am trying to decide on a video card with a good quality output. I've never even owned a ATI card but I know that’s the way I want to go . I was reading and quite a few people had mentioned the newer all in wonder cards -video out- are pretty bad apposed to the older 9000 ones. My questions are, is this true? Also, this is just being hooked up to a projection big screen should I even bother going with anything higher then a 9000 pro seeing I'll have to play games at a low res anyways?

Well, I have seen the TV out on a Radeon8500. It seems a bit clearer than the on on my Gainward Ti4200 card. I've not seen it on a high quality video source, but I seem to have a lot of banding (like dithering) that's especially visible in dark scenes.

However, there is one feature of the Nvidia drivers that the ATI seems to be missing (though I don't have the NEWEST ATI drivers on the 8500). On my Ti4200, whenever I would play a video file, be it RA, Quicktime, AVI, MPEG, or whatever, the card will detect it and automatically display it on the TV out. The ATI drivers appear to be lacking this feature. Or, if it was there, I sure couldn't find it.

For that reason, I'm seriously considerin getting a GFFX 5200 Personal Cinema for my HTPC. I understand that the TV out quality on the FX cards is markedly improved over the earlier lines. Anybody know the truth of that?

what is your goal of it? are u looking to just play movies off of it or are you looking to play half life 2 on the tv? that small detail makes a big difference on how much you are going to spend

Falcon-K said:
what is your goal of it? are u looking to just play movies off of it or are you looking to play half life 2 on the tv? that small detail makes a big difference on how much you are going to spend
Well, ideally I would like to be able to play half life 2 on it and should be able to do so if I’m not mistaken with a 9000 pro (with the goodys turned down) seeing as I stated earlier it will be for a projection TV and will not be able to view games at a high res. Anyways I believe this to be correct, though I've never actually hooked a video card up to a TV and cranked up the resolution. If I'm wrong in thinking that turning the res up to the max on a standard TV (or projection) will not give me better picture quality pls correct me.

when i ran games on my projection tv at high res's it didnt really improve the quality that much just because a tv is a tv it cant do 1024 res, and either a 9000 aiw or if u want a little more future proof card grab the 9600 pro aiw

I think I'm going to go with the 9600 pro AIW. Can anyone that has this card tell me how the output is on it??

Actually, my 27" Sony Trinitron Wega CAN do 1024x768. Found that out by accident when I had SOF2 set to that res and then hooked my computer up to the TV.

I changed my mind ..Seeing I'm going with the Antec Overture Full ATX case I'll have plenty of PCI slots so I found a POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 128MB DDR DVI+CRT+TV for $119 in Newegg refurb section and I'm gona couple that with a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 250. for only $27 more then a new 9600 AIW pro. I think this is a much better set up.

Back