• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who here believes that burning in the processor will achieve a higher mhz in the future.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
M

Me

Who here believes that burning in the processor will achieve a higher mhz in the future.

Im not sure if there is any evidence to prove this anywhere

Some people believe it is just superstition, though I believe in it. The first overclock I tried, on my 700MHz tbird, I could only get it to 800MHz. After having had it for a week, during which I'd been playing Deus Ex solidly at 800MHz and 1.85V, I could get it to 850 stable. No changes to cooling/temperature/system at all. The only explanation I can come up with is burn-in. However, my duron would only do 918 straight off, and it was only the volt mod and watercooling that got me to 1000 - I haven't seen any evidence of burn-in on this cpu. I reckon like many things, it just depends on the cpu - maybe some are affected more than others. Just MHO :)

I believe in it now. I had an athlon 500@700 for a year and it wouldn't even post at 750 with any amount of voltage. Now the thing is running great at 750 and will post at 800. Nothing in the system has changed over the year so I do believe this was because of burn in.

Out of Five Birds and one Duron, five of them ran faster after a few weeks. One Bird went the other way. It's to early to tell with my latest Bird.

I too beleive in burn in...When I first joined here i didn't know what a cpu looked like. I have a duron 700 and couldn't get past 850 stable. Did about an hour a day burn in for several days and I could now get it to post at 950 but not yet stable. Currently run at 900 rock stable and I beleive it's due to burn time.

well i do belive in it!!! and strongly encourage ppl to do it!! i burn in my intel chip and get higher speed. and i i switch to t-bird and it won't post at all when higher then 1500MHz. but after 1 hr of burn in, it post with 1577MHz. :) should try it, it worth!! :)

I can't find a shred of Electronic Engineering theory to support it, hence i do not believe it, but I have seen it with my own two eyes. Really pisses me off! :D

Hoot

Ok here we go………… Chips are made of switches. Because of eletromigration, some switches improve and some degrade with use. CPUs that exhibit an increase in speed have more switches that improve. It would follow that better quality control would result in more chips that exhibit an increase in speed.

So in conclusion typically there might be a improvement over time considering the quality of the chips that Intel and AMD make. ?

Maestro

It can't hurt, so why not do it? Before my voltage mod, I tuned my chip down to 5x133, cranked my voltage up to 1.85, and my IO voltage WWAAYY up to 3.9v and ran it for about 48 hours running Seti, Prime95 torture, and SiSoft Sandra Burn-in running CPU, Multimedia, and Memory. Seemed to help my memory performance. (Phew, that was a long run-on sentence :))

I got a little bit more overclock after I had mine running for a week or so. i believe it does help.

all i can say is that cars and suck are better in the winter after warming them up b4 putting them to use- maybe it one in the same

I do believe that burning in helps a lot.
My current processor was at first barely able to boot up at 800 Mhz.
Now, half a year later it boots up at 950 and runs stable 940. Nothing at all has been changed

I am not a believer in 'burning in' ... I hate leaving a new setup unattended for long periods of time ... using my computer at a given speed is my burn in. Well that and ..... the darn thing surviving my stupid mistakes as I put the thing together.

i believe in it. I had an classic pentium 133mhz which only did 150mhz at 180mhz would get a memory protection error on windows bootup and on 200mhz no post at all. After some months playing alot of games i tried 180mhz and the thing booted:) then tried 200mhz guess what it posted!! But memory protection error. After some time again it runned 200mhz rocksolid!! and still does, im right now using it as an server and it has been running for 42days now on winnt without a crash.

Same with my amd k6 450. first it did only 518mhz after some time it did 525 and posts at 600mhz using an CHEAP stock hsw which i had on an old p120.

But my last tbird has gone totally the other way. my 1.1ghz was stable at 1350mhz at the beginning but now im down at 1232:( over 100mhz slower........ Seems to get worse for every day since i had to put it down a notch today too.

So i think burnin will help some cpus but hurt others........

There was an excellent article written on this subject for those that don't believe that there is any evidence that indicates that burn-in works and for anyone else that is interested;
I have two experiences of my own. A Duron 800 that only just made 900 when I first got it but after burn-in for two weeks has achieved 1070 with air-cooling. A week 27 Duron 600 that would not go over 900, that I am currently burning in, achieved the Gig after a week of burn in. The article above describes the process and without clear indications of where that author is wrong and why so many people achieve success with the process I believe that it works.

First you need to buy 1 pound of shirmp and then fry it in a pan. After you do that let me know

I totally believe in it. I had an Athlon SLOT A. It overclocked fine to 800 from 700. but wouldn't even turn on @850. After about a week it posted but hung in windows boot.

Burn on

Rob

i got an t-bird slot a running at 1000 from 900 100 percent stable but i dont understand why i cant get it to 1050 by setting the jumpers on the gfd

Back