• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Ram out of these choices?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dimitri

Registered
Thank you for any replies, this forum has been a blessing, helped me build about 6 computers now.

Need some advice on which ram to get, I don't have any way of looking at the chips before buying them. I would like to OC my intel based system which will have the following and wonder which ram would be a good choice.

The system : P4 2.6c, asus P4P800DX, radeon 9800pro, maxtor 80gb 8 mg cache HD, 16x dvd and 1g of ram.

Choices for RAM:

1) TWINX1024-3200C2PT CORSAIR-TwinxDual-Channel DDR400/1G/C2

2) TWINX1024-3200LLPT CORSAIR-TwinxDual-Channel DDR400/1G

3) 2x512MB DDR/433 GEIL GEIL DUAL CHANNEL

4) 2x512MB DDR/433 GEIL GOLDEN DRAGON

5) 2x512MB DDR/500 GEIL DUAL CHANNEL

6) 2x512MB DDR/533 GEIL DUAL CHANNEL

7) 2x512MB DDR/400 KINGSTON 512MB DDR/400 HyperX DUAL

8) 2x512MB DDR/434 KINGSTON 512MB DDR/434 HyperX DUAL

9) 2x512MB DDR/500 KINGSTON 512MB DDR/500 HyperX DUAL

10) 2x512MB DDR/466 KINGSTON 512MB DDR/466 HyperX DUAL

These vary in price and I am limited to getting one of these. Looking for the top performer amongst these choices, hopefully with that BH-5 thing I see mentioned perusing the mem threads.

Quick replies appreciated, I'm looking to build this machine this weekend, thanks all.

well, i have never used any of those, in fact i havent even built my own computer yet! lol. anyway, i have read all over the internet that corsair is the best memory you can buy. so i would go with 1 or 2.

aslo, what is BH-5?

Wow, fast replies, much <3 for this forum. You can find a sticky at the top of the page explaining BH-5 chips, I'm definetely not the one to ask ;) I read it all and still don't quite get it~

Thanks

well, i read some of it, but it looked as though it was mostly jibber jabber about the performance and pricing of it. i didnt look at every post and reply, but i dont think anyone actually explained what BH-5 is....from what i read in one of the posts, i think its a type of memory chip on the chip module, but i dont know what it is exactly and what difference in performance it has.

BH-5 is the name for the batch of chips that I believe samsung made. They manufacturer chips in huge batches under a set of guidelines. They make small tweaks to the design or fabrication of each batch. I believe after BH-5 they made CH-5 chips, and I've heard talk about BH-6 being made as well but don't know much about that. Basicly BH-5 chips were designed and fabricated very well and can handle fast speeds so you want memory with these chips. But chips alone do not make the RAM just be sure to keep that in mind.

yeah, the RAM i'm considering most (corsair xms pc400) has hynix memory chips on them, which were on some memory modules a few years back, and then they disappeared from what i understand. and now many people are excited they are back on xms pc4000. i'm still waiting for replies to my topic (right under this topic in the memory section). but it looks like this one is more popular :(

BH5 is a Winbond chip, and the best suited for dual channel Inel rigs. None of the modules on your list use them. They best way to get them is to buy Buffalo PC3700, Kingston HyperX 3200 (non-"A"), or Mushkin PC3200 or 3500 Level 2.

BH5 chips were made by Winbond & are no longer in production. Several manufacturers apparently have a pretty good stock of these chips & are still using them. I would guess before too much longer they will run out & will have to use something else. Fronm what I've seen on the forums these overclock very nicely. Just look at the various threads here in the memory section to figure out what will be best for you! Good luck! -Dave

sounds good, i might consider these in my rig i'm building soon. i'll have to do some research in the mean time.

BTW how do i disable the email notification that someone has replied to my post? it gets annoying :mad:

Back