• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silence a PSU fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Doesn't it have a fan adjustment Pot? If not you can replace the fan with a panaflow or somthing similar, or 7v mod the current fan, or even 5v mod it.

Its a potentiometer, a variable voltage divider.

Personally, I'd go with replacement with a panaflo low airflow fan.

7v it.

Edit: I can't believe it, My Sparkle 350w (120mm) is unhearable. Are you sure it's the PSU's fan who's noisy?

Suma.

Yes, it definitely is (but I have an 80mm fan). I have the computer in my rig next to it, which uses an Antec TP420. The Sparkle blows a LOT more air out (which I noticed a while ago). Last week I went on a silencing crusade against my computers, and realized that the Sparkle, along with putting out a lot of air, is quite noisy.

I'll try to 7V it. I'm just leary opening up a PSU and tinkering inside. Maybe I'll unplug it first this time...

Don't really know that I'd 7volt it. PSU gets too hot, and next thing you know you're having random shutdowns or reboots.

CjMoney said:
what exactly does 7v it mean and how do you do it?

Instead of connecting the fan to the 12v and ground wires of a PSU, you connect the "Ground" of the fan to the 5v wire of the PSU. The resulting voltage across the fan is 7v.

Welcome to the forum :)

i would just replace the fan with a really quiet panaflo...i did on one of my fortron/sparkle 350's and it is now WAY quieter...nearly in audible...

Thanks for the help & opinions. My rig is watercooled with chilled water, so the inside of the case is actually very cool. I'll see if I can just 7v it and save myself some money. The fan puts out tons of air, so I'm thinking it won't hurt too much.

Back