• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 9800 PICS!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joker_927

Just went out and bought a new Radeon 9800 pro!!!

9800 pro!!

Of course, the second I took it out of the box, I had to rip it apart.

Bye Bye old P2 heatsink; hello RAMSINKS!
IMAG0031.JPG

OH yea! the back is done!
IMAG0034.JPG

With the water-block added.
IMAG0035.JPG

IMAG0036.JPG

As you can see, while the back ramsinks have 4 rows of fins, the top ones only have 3 becuse I had to break the last row off inorder for the water-block to fit. The ram modules were placed perfectly around the hose barbs too. phew.
IMAG0037.JPG

here is a pic of the whole system

IMAG0038.JPG

Just think.... 100% of this WHOLE water-cooling system was built from knowledge gained from overclockers.com

Cool cooling :)
Did you think about custom mosfet cooling on both VGA & mobo?

Detract - I bet that thermal conductive epoxy.

Do you have any tips on removing the heatsink? I am trying to get mine off but I can't. I have tried tweezers but if I apply too much pressure I slip and might damage something.

Node said:
Do you have any tips on removing the heatsink? I am trying to get mine off but I can't. I have tried tweezers but if I apply too much pressure I slip and might damage something.

Yup, just be careful. I was able to use my fingers to squeeze out the litte brass pins on mine. A small pair of needle nose may work better than tweezers i think.

J.

That looks really nice. I'm about to do the same thing here myself after I get some thermal compound (AS5). I already hooked up a second rad in paralell for the occasion. Have you noticed any difference in temps since you also have 3 blocks in your circuit?

Looks cool man.
Gonna get some ramsinks (P1 sink, nice copper one :p) for my 9500Pro.
I wanted to know how did you stick it?
I though of applying some thermal compound (e.g. Nanotherm Blue II, I get these babys for free.. :p) and putting like 1-2 drops of super glue, I actually did this when I needed to stick my 8rda's stock h/s on my RivaTNT (Linky)

what do you think about that guys? (sorry to bump in m8..)

Suma.

Suma said:
Looks cool man.
Gonna get some ramsinks (P1 sink, nice copper one :p) for my 9500Pro.
I wanted to know how did you stick it?
I though of applying some thermal compound (e.g. Nanotherm Blue II, I get these babys for free.. :p) and putting like 1-2 drops of super glue, I actually did this when I needed to stick my 8rda's stock h/s on my RivaTNT (Linky)

what do you think about that guys? (sorry to bump in m8..)

Suma.

Suma, you would be better off with using thermal tape rather than using Superglue & thermal paste. http://www.1coolpc.com/cooltape.htm

Even better than that would be to use some Arctic Alumina Adhesive http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=1398&cat=52&page=1

Miralcos said:
where did ya get those spiffy ramsinks and how much were they? I would love to have a set of those on my card. :D

Thats a cut up Pentium 2 heatsink. You can snag a new unused pentium 1 or 2 heatsink for as little as a buck On Ebay

Detract said:
Cool :D . How far have you got O/C'n? What did you use to attach the Ramsinks?

If you look close, on one of the pics I can see a dab of what looks like Arctic Alumina adhesive. Thats how it appears he affixed them.

PS Joker_927, I hope you enjoy your 9800 as much as I enjoy mine. Being an Nvidiot myself, I can say without reservation that the 9800 is one hell of a good card.

Do you have any concern of shorting out of those rows of "resistors" on the GPU chip itself, I was about to WC mine and backed off because it seems the water block will certainly touch one or several of those resistors, anybody to shed light on this??

To remove the stock heatsink just use a needle-nose pliers and be very careful. As you squezze the gold thing that sticks out with the plier, pull on the heat sink at the same time it should come off.

I wouldnt recommend superglue nor thermal tape... Use Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive and if you wanna easiy take it off later, just mis 1:1 ratio with regular thermal compound.

You dont really have to worry about those round things around the waterblock as any block that fits on 9800 pro won't even come close to touching it.

what 'gold thing'

I dont see a 'gold thing' anywhere on this heatsink

Node said:
what 'gold thing'

I dont see a 'gold thing' anywhere on this heatsink

Ok i dont seem to speak english very well hehe I was referring to the two gold things that stick out of the back of your video card which you have to squeeze to get the heatsink off... I dont know what its called.

Back