• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm getting a new system - HELP me out please - all suggestions are wanted :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaM

I'm getting a new system - HELP me out please - all suggestions are wanted :)

So guys - i've gotta build a new computer system for college, so im coming to you guys to help me out with a leet (L337) system. I pretty sure i want a Thunderbird 1.4 ghz, but you guys give me some suggestions for motherboard (DDR type), powersupply, case suggestion, heatsink, fan, and EVERYTHING with that. Heres your chance to help me :) Thanks guys....

Matt

Telling people how much money you have to spend and what you want the system for would allow us to give better advice

UnseenMenace (Jul 12, 2001 07:26 p.m.):
Telling people how much money you have to spend and what you want the system for would allow us to give better advice

I guess the money limit would be about 1600 to 1800 dollars. I know you can get a pretty sweet system for that. But it would be for gaming, programming, and programs that really take a lot of system. Thanks guys

Motherboard - Epox 8KT7A - This board of course uses DDR memory, is cheap, has plenty of features, and the new /5 PCI divisor will make it run at least 170 Mhz fsb. Second Choice - Abit KG7 lite

Processor - Thunderbird 1.33 AHYJA - the 1.4 hasnt performed any better than the 1.33 so there is no reason to get it. You can expect 1.6 Ghz or 1.7 Ghz with water cooling and a voltage mod. Second Choice - Thunderbird 1.0 Ghz AXIA

Ram - Corsair PC-2400, your gonna need it if you use the /5 PCI divisor and go to 170 - 180 fsb. Second Choice - Crucial PC-2100

Cooling - Golden Gate/Gladiator if you want air cooling, or get an Aquastealth or Danger Den water cooling kit if your going to do the voltage mod.

Video Card - Geforce 3 mx - its gonna be worth the wait. Second Choice - Geforce 2 Ultra or Pro depending on money.

Sound Card - Sound Blaster live 5.1 - If you want to use surrond sound speakers then this is your choice. Second Choice - Sound Blaster live Value, if you dont want to use surround sound speakers then this is your choice.

Burner - Whatever speed is your fancy made by HP, Plextor, or Sony. I think they are the best brands.

Hard Drive - IBM 60 GXP - the fastest IDE drive available for good prices. Second Choice - IBM 75 GXP.

*edit* go to Pricewatch for the best prices. Newegg and Mwave have great prices. If you want to order from only a few places they might be it.

Epox 8K7A+ $150
AMD T-Bird 1.33 266FSB $100
Crucial PC-2100 $60
Millenium Glaciator w/ delta $50
GF2 Ultra $225
Plextor 16X burner $170
SBLive 5.1 $50
IBM 75gxp 60 gig $175
19"monitor $ 275
Antec 1250 w/ 400 watt PSU $160
$1560 + shipping.
It doe not get better

EPOX EP-8K7A - $120 (Newegg)
AMD T-bird 1.33 Ghz AHYJA - $131 (Newegg)
SVC Golden Gate w/YS Tech 40 cfm fan - $24 (SVC)
256 Megs Corsair PC-2400 - $87 (Sparten Technologies)
Evga Geforce 2 Ultra - $215 (Newegg)
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 - $65 (Newegg)
Lite On 12x10x32 Burner - $83 (Newegg)
IBM 60 GXP 40 GB - $107 - (Newegg)
Mitsumi Flopppy Drive - $9 - (Newegg)
Enlight -7237NOPS Case - $41 (Sparten Technologies)
Enermax Whisper 431 Watt - $81 (Newegg)
Pioneer 16x DVD - $60 (Newegg)
Microsoft Hot Key Keyboard - $20 (Newegg)
Logitech Optical Scroll Mouse - $14 (Newegg)
Viewsonic GS790 19 inch Monitor - $309 (Newegg)
Netgear 10/100 Lan Card - $13 (Newegg)
Creative Labs 5.1 Speakers - $98 (Newegg)

=$1477

There is gonna be a lot of shipping charges, but you could do all of this for less than $1500 and that is one kick-*** computer right there.

*edit* I forgot to add speakers and a LAN card. I guess it might need a printer too, but ya dont have to have that.

HaM (Jul 12, 2001 10:28 p.m.):
Holy **** Ferg. Thank you so much for putting a ton of effort into this for me. I seriously really app. it :)

I got bored.

What about the new Abit KG7 raid motherboard? It has 4 slots avail. for DDR SDRAM and avail. in mid July. It would probably be close to 200 dollars, but do you think it would be worth it?
Or Epox would be good? Even though epox has on-board audio, i do not have to use that, correct? I can still use sound card

yea you can just go to device manager and disable on the on-board audio. The Abit KG7 will be a good mobo and there will be a "lite" version available without raid and only 2 DDR slots which I bet will go for as little as $160, but the Epox is already available and I dont think that the Abit KG7 will be much better if any better at all. Also the Epox has a new bois with a /5 PCI divisor and it could be a while before Abit offers that.

Back